Prey drive taking over playing? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Prey drive taking over playing?

So, some of you may remember my story about taking my lil girl to my mothers house a few weeks ago and her playing kinda hard with my sisters ****zu.

Well we were up there yesterday for the day, and after she calmed down and started playing, the playing got rough. To the point I stood inside the house watching to make sure she didn't try to kill the other dog.

Basically, now or yesterday after doing the normal chasing one another and rolling one another on the ground, she started to constantly go for the ****zu's throat. I even caught her laying to the side on all four legs with her mouth completly around the ****zu's throat while the ****zu tried to get out of it. Finally when he did, being his nutty self he came back to Nuhkia looking to play even more. This holding around the throat seems like a hard core prey drive and at 4 mons old. I'm definately afraid that in another month or so, they'll no longer be able to play together.

Also let it be known, that at times when she would get a grip on him she would thrash her head side to side, she definately took alot of hair off him. However he never onced yelped and constantly kept coming back for more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Elite Member

Your puppy was lying on her side? That is definitely play.

It sounds like the shi tzu was enjoying the rough play, if he never yelped and never avoided her.

That said, if you feel they are playing too rough, you can call a "time out" from play. It doesn't have to be a negative thing--just "hey guys, time out, come and get a cookie" -- call them over to you, offer them a treat, tell them how good they are for coming, then let them go back to playing.

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Crowned Member

My 15 month old, 90lb GSD will hold my mini doxie's head in his mouth. She squeaks, he releases and she darts in to do it all over again. He never hurts her, just slobbers all over her. She is much too small for him to hold her throat - so he just holds her head.

When he plays rough with my Golden he utilizes his weight and size and body slams him. Moves the Golden around using his shoulders and hips. He rarely uses his mouth - I think he knows this could escalate into something more serious. The Golden has no rules and uses anything to his advantage.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:11 PM

sounds like rough playing to me as well...Gsd's atleast all mine anyhow, have been notorious "grab the other dog by the neck" types..All in rough play of course

Masi is constantly dragging my aussie around by her neck, the aussie will let her have it, and they are back at it,,if it gets to 'rough' in my estimation or I think the aussie has had enough and isn't doing anything about it, they get a time out..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Knighted Member

Yep it's play. All of mine (I have 4) go for the throat or collar. They really like to grab the collar and turn until they flop the other dog over...kind of like steer roping. It's all play though.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Well from what it sounds like until I think it's becoming to rough or the other dog starts yelping, then leave it go, except for time outs for drinks et cetra.

However the my girl wasn't on her side, she was lying down as if you would give a down command, with the other dog on it's back with her mouth around the entire neck. Kind of like when she chews on her bone.

Thank You all for the great advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page