frustrated...fear stage..I need help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

frustrated...fear stage..I need help

Sage didn't bark at a single person all week until today. We had puppy class in a crowded petsmart today and he didn't bark at a single person, he did bark at 2 dogs but it was in an "I want to play way" we had a long walk downtown and he didn't bark at anyone...He came with me to a good friends house played with a jack russell, great dane, and a rottweiler mix. He was getting along well with my friends too he didn't bark at them once either....except for one friend....

Sage was barking big time at him and I could not get his attention redirected for the life of me. I had my friend toss sage a treat, sage grabbed it and ran the other way to the end of his leash ate the treat and then continued barking. So my friend got closer to me he told sage everything was fine and my friend and I hugged. Sage stopped barking but wouldn't get any closer to use so we ignored him and sat down. After about 5 minutes Sage finally seemed to relax, came closer and layed on my feet. Everything seemed fine. My friend gave sage another treat this time out of his hand and sage continued laying down eating his treat. After a while my friend left the room and when he came back in Sage started barking at him again only this time it sounded like he was growling a little along with the barking (not sure if he was growling or if it was just a grumbly noise before the bark-if that makes sense) Again I tried redirecting and couldn't get him to stop. My friend kneeled down to Sage and held out a treat and sage tried running away and seemed scared so I took him outside to calm down and try to get his attention. Once sage was all calm my friend came outside and Sage seemed fine he took a treat from my friend and layed down. As we were sitting outside a person walked by on the sidewalk and sage started to bark and I redirected and he was fine no barking didn't care anymore about the person walking. We went back in the house and Sage started barking at my friend again. (I'm not sure what it was about my friend he's the most normal looking guy you could meet, there were 4 other people there and Sage had no issues with them at all) My friend gave sage another treat and he was fine again for the rest of the evening.

I take Sage pretty much everywhere with me and when i'm at work he's with my parents meeting new people. I've worked really hard at socializing him. when he doesn't bark at someone he's all kisses and just a normal super happy puppy so its frustrating when he does bark like this, i know he's not a lab its just i'm not sure what is causing it or how i can get him to stop or if i'm doing even remotely okay with him...

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Knighted Member

Re: frustrated...fear stage..I need help

Sometimes dogs can pick up on fear or anxiety that we DO NOT pick up on.
our friend may have (even slightly) been intimidated by her or afraid- or annoyed -
Dogs pick up on that slightest mood change. GSD's are notorious for picking up the subtle scent changes when endorphins are released......
I would invite the friend over a few more times -
let every one become more comfortable with each other ....
Once he becomes attuned to Sage, He' ll probably have no issues-
and Sage will become more comfortable as well.

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Knighted Member

Re: frustrated...fear stage..I need help

Next time you should give your friend some treats so share with Sage.
That way she will assoiate your friend with treats and wont be so scared.

Kilo- GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page