Puppy playing rougher w/older dog now! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Puppy playing rougher w/older dog now!

Ok. I have a GS mix 4 1/2 mos. old. We've had her for about 6 weeks now. I also have a 10 yr old mixed breed female. They have been playing great all this time. I just noticed today that the puppy is getting more aggressive. Earlier she was showing her teeth and growling. She has always growled when playing, but this seemed different. The older girl keeps playing with her, but something is different about the play w/the younger one. There was a cow hoof that belongs to the puppy that the older one was trying to chew on. I gave the older girl one too, but she buries everything in the yard and now has decided that she likes the puppies. For the past few days, they would each kinda play with it with no problem, but earlier when the older girl wanted it, the puppy began playing real rough and really raising her gums. Again, they are not outright fighting, but the puppy seems to be showing more assertiveness with her. My older one has always been a dominant dog around other dogs, but has been great with the puppy. Even when they were outside without the cow hoof, the puppy has gotten more aggressive. If the older one takes charge of the playing, the puppy use to back down and now she seems to be going back at her. Is this normal at her age now that she is showing more dominance? She's been barking at the older one a lot more today too. Just getting a little concerned. I normally don't worry when they play, but this evening things seemed different. The puppy is about the same size (20 lbs) as the older one right now, but will get twice her size (not as big as a full blood GSD, but about 45 lbs. The older one is about 25lbs. Thanks for any input.

Annie 10 yr old Heinz 57 (some terrier)
Gypsie 7 mos.old GS mix
Box Turtles (2 female, one male)
Bearded Dragon 5 yrs old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Puppy playing rougher w/older dog now!

I don't have any advise, sorry, but my Bo is now 4 months old too and he is becoming more assertive than he was before, he is more protective of his chew bones, before Bella would just go take it away from Bo and he did nothing but now when she comes close he shows his gums/teeth growls etc too. He is also playing more roughly than before, Bella kind of walked all over him but now he is defending himself more. I keep a close watch over them, and if they seem a little to rough I say Enough and pull them apart. They don't know what it means but I hope they will learn it. Mostly it is play but it can get a little meaner over things than other times, so maybe it is normal?

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Maybe this is normal for their age. I removed all the bones out of the kithen where the dogs stay and play (when they are not outside). This morning the puppy did the same thing, showing gum and teeth, but my older one doesn't seem to be fazed by it. She keeps playing like it is not agression, but it is definately different. Just want to know if others have this same problem. We leave them out in the yard throughout the day and let them in throughout the day. The puppy will lay in her bed and do this while playing or turn upside down, but sometimes she stands up and does it. I just don't want to see them start fighting.

Gypsie 7 mos.old GS mix
Bearded Dragon 5 yrs old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Knighted Member

Well no experts address our concern, must be busy talking about Jon and kate plus 8!!! HA!!

My Bo and Bella are rough housing alot more and more, Bella is 1 years old and Bo 4 months or so. Bella is a bully and loves to play rough, Bo has been more assertive now and sometime he runs and leaps and starts the rough housing. I get worried it will turn into a fight to, but it is play but if one accidently gets hurt they get mad it seems and then it could get into something I don't know.
Both their personalities are easy going very playful not agressive dogs, not so dominating either as I think they are maybe equel so could be different than your two.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

My older one is a more dominant dog around other dogs in the past, but she has been great with the puppy. Only twice have I heard her fuss at the puppy. It was not big deal. I really thought she would be very dominant with the puppy, but she has been great with her. Even though she is 10 yrs old, she keeps up with the playing. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to take them for walks and maybe they have a little too much time together right now and the puppy is not burning off enough energy.

Gypsie 7 mos.old GS mix
Bearded Dragon 5 yrs old
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Master Member

I don't pretend to be an expert, but I've seen my dogs play with this much display. From what I have read it is normal. Two adults playing can seem to be a really scary fight to us, but not to them. It doesn't mean we shouldn't be aware of and keep order as the pack leader if it seems to be getting out of hand. If your older dog is OK with it, then I wouldn't worry. The puppy is getting to the age when she looses her "puppy license" with the adult and I'm sure the adult will let her know if she's going too far.
As far as the puppy being more assertive with her possessions - that too is normal. I was just reading a bit about that in S. Clothier's book "Bones Would Rain from the Sky". Apparently, dogs believe very strongly that possession is 9/10ths (or more) of the law.

Johanna

Aodhán (GSD)- Mar 2002
Caleb (Quill vom kleinen Teich) - Mar 2009
Rica (GSD)- Nov 1996 - July 2009 RIP
Max (GSDx) - 1983 - 1998 RIP
Kelly (GSD) - 1986 - 1996 RIP
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:54 PM

When we got Aurora she played with the neighbor's pug who at the time was bigger than her. As she started getting bigger she started getting more assertive. Now she almost bullies him for the fun of it. I think she just wants to be dominant however she can.

Haha, also she has started lifting her fur up when she sees a dog, cat, toad, you name it! It is so funny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page