How much should I be feeding a 60lb 10 month female? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By Jax08

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

How much should I be feeding a 60lb 10 month female?

Good afternoon anyone,

I rescued a German Shepherd puppy one week ago today and we initially tried a few different brands of kibble, none of which she seemed to enjoy. Prior to adopting her, I researched the raw diet, so I figured I would give it a try. There is a local-ish farm that is owned by a friend and has been in the raw dog food business for some time, and they were highly recommended by other friends and local owners. She IMMEDIATELY took to the raw food. My only question is how much should I be feeding her?

We went to the vet yesterday and they told us that she shouldn't grow much more, but that she may fill out a little. The vet was not happy about the raw diet at all and aggressively tried to market one particular brand of kibble, the vet seemed very brand oriented.

Bella gets a good amount of exercise daily, at least two long walks per day, and a lot of running around in the yard chasing balls we throw, as well as an introduction to clicker training.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 03:38 PM

It all Depends on the brand of food most brands Will give you the recommendations on the bag however I Would recommend talking to a nutritionist about brands and amounts for the brand you choose most that I’ve spoken to have recommended puppy food up to about 15 months
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Crowned Member

Probably about 1# to 1.5# per day. Is this a premade food? Are you mixing your own bone/meat/organ? What exactly are you feeding?

I feed raw, have for years. But I feed a premade commercial food to any dog under 1 because they are growing. Now that my girl is 1, I'll start supplementing homemade part of the time.

Vets don't like raw for a variety of reasons. some very legit. Like the health issues they see from poorly balanced meals.
Sabis mom likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

I am buying from a commercial farm, it is a mix of bone, veggies, and modeled after the BARF diet.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 06:57 AM
Crowned Member

You should ask for ingredients and ratios. Do they have an analysis with calories and mineral content?
lhczth likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in