Stagnant Weight 7 Month Old - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By GatorDog
  • 2 Post By GypsyGhost
  • 1 Post By mkculs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Stagnant Weight 7 Month Old

Our little guy hasn't gained any weight in a month and he just turned 7 months yesterday. It also doesn't look like he has grown any taller either. We feed him 2lbs of raw a day. Ca/ph ratio is about 1.11:1, protein/fat ratio is about 1.5:1, and 15% bone, 15% organ/liver, 15% veggies/fruits and 55% MM. He weighs 45lbs per his vet visit today. He looks healthy - lean and athletic. You can see some outline of his ribs but not too much. We've been careful not to overfeed.

We are going to start feeding him 2.5lbs / day. Seems a little disconcerting that our pup hasn't grown in a month...

Curious to know if anyone has any insight or if this may be more normal than it seems?

Note: we know that many BARF diets have 80% MM, 10% bone, 10% organ, but through all the research we've done, there seems to be a range for each of those categories and we trust the manufacturers of our raw food. They are local and specifically developed their balanced meals for larger breed dogs.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 04:01 PM
Crowned Member

Id probably start with just upping the intake. This is a super awkward age for them, but raw will also promote a steady, even growth, so hes probably just following that trend if hes otherwise doing well!
gveliopoulos likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 04:05 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

FWIW, the puppies Ive raised on raw instead of kibble tend to not really pack on the pounds, and they have all needed obscene amounts of food while growing. My now 4 year old male was eating about 3 lbs of raw around that age. His adult weight is 71 lbs. Ive never been able to feed an intact, active male anywhere near the recommended 2-3% of their body weight and have them maintain weight, and theyve all eaten over 4.5% of their body weight as puppies.
CometDog and das1 like this.

Train the dog in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Id probably start with just upping the intake. This is a super awkward age for them, but raw will also promote a steady, even growth, so hes probably just following that trend if hes otherwise doing well!
Thanks Alexis! That makes feel alot better. He's doing really great so we'll just stick with upping his food intake and monitor more intentionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
FWIW, the puppies Ive raised on raw instead of kibble tend to not really pack on the pounds, and they have all needed obscene amounts of food while growing. My now 4 year old male was eating about 3 lbs of raw around that age. His adult weight is 71 lbs. Ive never been able to feed an intact, active male anywhere near the recommended 2-3% of their body weight and have them maintain weight, and theyve all eaten over 4.5% of their body weight as puppies.
That's really really helpful advice. I haven't come across anything like that so far so I've been confused. I feel bad that we've been underfeeding him now Poor little guy.

Thanks for the responses. Y'all are life savers.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:03 AM

I saw a growth chart that also showed how growth starts to level out after 5 or 6 months-- I was really worried b/c at that point Jett was underweight by a lot and was supposed to by 60% of his adult size. Well, he caught up, so it didn't apply to an underfed dog. But my main point is, growth does begin to slow down earlier than I thought. Could just be that is the point you're at. Here's the link (scroll down to charts; look at far right column): https://animalso.com/breeds/german-s...-growth-chart/
gveliopoulos likes this.

Maureen
Radar, Aussie/BC mix, b. 2/27/2012
Jett, GSD foster pup, b. 7/15/2018
Madison, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page