Loose Stool - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 11
Loose Stool

Hi everyone,
For the last 4-5 months our girl has had loose stool on and off. She started on Taste of the Wild and after a while had continuous diarrhea so we switched her to Orijen which didn’t work either. We then tried Acana limited ingredient and Zignature limited ingredient, none of which helped. We then switched to prescription Hill’s z/d diet and that worked. However, it’s $100 a bag and does not contain the best ingredients. She tested negative for EPI which we thought might have been the cause. We’ve also eliminated all treats and only give her the kibble. Has anyone had this issue with their shepherd and if so are there any foods you’ve been successful with? Thanks!
KayasDad77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 07:06 PM
Elite Member
 
eddie1976E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,763
You have tried some high quality foods that are known to give issues to alot of puppies. I fed mine 20 pieces of orijen and he had the runs for a day. Try Fromm LBP. To me, its too soon to move to adult food. But, I would recommend Dr. Tim's products (I use momentum...very high calorie and quality). Best option would be to go to raw if you can.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddie1976E is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:04 PM
Member
 
fionapup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 62
I also had a similar experience with both recent GSD puppies I raised in that high quality foods with high protein (like Acana, Sportdog) gave them lots of loose, big stool and many poops a day, and they stay pretty skinny and don't seem to gain enough weight even eating 5 cups a day. I switched to Proplan 30/20, 4 cups a day when my pup was around 12 weeks old, and it has been working great. My last puppy switched to Premium Edge Puppy and that also worked for her. She now eats 5 cups a day at 5 months old.

I know a lot of sport dogs are doing super well on Proplan and people swear by it, despite not showing the highest quality ingredients, the dogs are active with shiny coats. Not sure why!

Katsuki vom Quellwasser - Pride - 10/1/17

Last edited by fionapup; 03-22-2018 at 08:07 PM.
fionapup is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:12 PM
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ontario -
Posts: 13,917
did you have anti biotic treatment prior to the last 4 to 5 months.

how old is this dog?

have you checked for giardia or coccidia , intestinal parasites , including whip worm

Carmen

**********


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
carmspack is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
You have tried some high quality foods that are known to give issues to alot of puppies. I fed mine 20 pieces of orijen and he had the runs for a day. Try Fromm LBP. To me, its too soon to move to adult food. But, I would recommend Dr. Tim's products (I use momentum...very high calorie and quality). Best option would be to go to raw if you can.
Thanks for the tip. I will check out these foods. I guess there’s something in all these foods that doesn’t agree with her.
KayasDad77 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fionapup View Post
I also had a similar experience with both recent GSD puppies I raised in that high quality foods with high protein (like Acana, Sportdog) gave them lots of loose, big stool and many poops a day, and they stay pretty skinny and don't seem to gain enough weight even eating 5 cups a day. I switched to Proplan 30/20, 4 cups a day when my pup was around 12 weeks old, and it has been working great. My last puppy switched to Premium Edge Puppy and that also worked for her. She now eats 5 cups a day at 5 months old.

I know a lot of sport dogs are doing super well on Proplan and people swear by it, despite not showing the highest quality ingredients, the dogs are active with shiny coats. Not sure why!
Good to know I’m not the only one. You’ve described the exact issue I’m having with my pup. I didn’t think to try ProPlan but I will look into this as well. Thanks a bunch.
KayasDad77 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
did you have anti biotic treatment prior to the last 4 to 5 months.

how old is this dog?

have you checked for giardia or coccidia , intestinal parasites , including whip worm
No antiobiotics. She just turned 1 year. We have checked for all the things you’ve mentioned and she’s negative on all.
KayasDad77 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:46 PM
Master Member
 
Armistice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 646
My pup started on Alpha. We thought the issue was giardia. Well, ended up ridding the giardia and she still had issues. Vet gave us some Hills Science Diet, and she got better. Made switches. Costco brand didn't work. Royal Canin GSD worked. After 2 bags, we've switched to Sam's Club kibble brand and she's still doing fine paired with Pedigree wet and has been healthy firm ever since. Only time she gets runny is sometimes after hard play, but then back to good firm
Armistice is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:57 AM
Master Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 561
I would be if I hadn't switched to raw. Anything chicken his systems goes wacky. Whole batch of bone broth with two chicken feet sigh....wasted. Once thru an elimination diet I tried a balance of raw and high quality kibble at first it seemed ok....so I'm back to 100% raw diet. Maybe an allergy test is in order?
Apex1 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:40 AM
Senior Member
 
andywhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 246
Had the same problem with my puppy for many weeks. Tried different kibble, didn't work.

All solved once I switched her on raw.
ausdland likes this.
andywhite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome