Bone issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Bone issues

Hey guys I am just reaching out for some opinions and advice with the bone portion of my pups raw food diet. I am having a difficult time getting them to spend the time to chew the bones. I have been using chicken backs and I was quartering them and my dogs will just swallow them whole. The dogs will then for the rest of the night be coughing either due to something stuck or throat irratation. I have tried the whole back and the same issues are happening. I am worried this will cause issue if I continue to feed them bones. I have purchased seaweed calcium supplements to help make sure they will get what they need just curious what you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Master Member

You could grind the bone and muscle meat. Maybe try chicken breast on the bone, see if that slows them down. That's the only thing I can think of I have a chewer.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:34 AM
Crowned Member

They do swallow them whole. They crunch them up until the bone is crushed enough so they can swallow them. I've never had one tear a poultry bone apart. Lamb necks they chew on while they break off pieces.

Are you sure they are coughing from the bone? I've never had one do that.

Before you just add supplements, have you actually crunched the numbers to find out what nutrients they are missing? And what else you are adding with seaweed supplements?
Mudypoz likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

I have the ounces of everything she needs and have prepackaged her food so I know each meal is meeting her requirements. The only thing I'm having an issue with was with bone. The cough has only happened twice and both times were shortly after her meal which consisted of the chicken back. It is an assumption that it is related to the bone. The breeder required the use of a digestive enzyme and a chewable joint and hip supplement. I just did some research and found the seaweed calcium supplement and here I am looking for some advice.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 03:09 PM
Crowned Member

The breeder required..... is this a puppy?

And I am trying to help you.

You have ounces of everything she needs? I did too, until I did the actual spreadsheet based on NRC requirements. And research into how much bone was actually in what I was feeding. For instance, a neck is 50% bone. Which means if you feed 10 oz, then you only need 2 oz of neck per the 80/10/10 but by the spreadsheet based on actual values of the piece thru testing, I needed 3 oz. Less than 10% of organ meat because the liver took the vitamin A way over the requirement which, since that is a fat soluble vitamin, could be bad. I found that the diet was completely void of iodine, low in potassium, manganese, selenium, choline, vitamin D and zinc.

If you are comfortable with what you are doing then please disregard all I've said. I won't be offended.

As Apex1 said, you can grind the bone if you are concerned with her harming herself. If I were going to add a supplement for calcium, it would not be from vegetation. It would be from bone meal which would be the complete bone with all the minerals and vitamins with it.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

I've used the spreadsheet to get my daily requirements, but never researched the bone percentages. Thanks for the help!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 03:46 PM
Crowned Member

Look up 2 books. Dr. Becker Real Food and Monica Segel's K9 Kitchen.

Both have recipes, lots of info on supplements including bone meal.

I have a Tasin grinder. It's lasted years and has ground up a ton of poultry necks. Less than $200 and worth every penny. Bought from here -
Tasin TS-108 Electric Meat Grinder, #12, Stainless Steel, Raw Pet Food Making

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

I will do that. Thanks again I believe feeding them a raw diet is best. I just don't want to make them worse due to my lack of knowledge so I'm over critical of any of their reactions as wrongdoings on my part.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Crowned Member

Luke, you are cutting up the chicken backs? Reason? How old are the dogs with the issues? Just trying to understand.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

The dog in question is 4. I had been cutting them because she will pull the whole back out of her bowl and leave it. If I made them more manageable she would eat them, but not chew them as I had hoped. She had a hiccup/cough the rest of the night like she was trying to clear her throat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page