3 Days and almost about to quit raw !Help¡ - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By e1701dlf

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

3 Days and almost about to quit raw !Help¡

Hello everyone,

I just got a GSD puppy, he's 9 and a half weeks and i was sure to feed him a raw diet, after lots of research i decide to give it a try, but then i keep getting information on the subject and start to have my doubts, i'm not sure if my puppy its getting all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals he needs at this stage of his life, so i want to let you know what i'm doing so may be i could just fix the base i have,or if it's not entirely wrong, because if a i can't do it right..... well i think i'll be doing more wrong than right to him and of course thats not the idea.

My puppy is weighing 13.7 Lbs, i was calculating 10% of his weight for ration, but it seems low to me as he seems to be under weight according to some GSD grow charts i've seen on internet, and in a book i'm reading said that their calorie needs at this stage should be around 1600-2000 calories per day, so i was planning on get that amount up, but i'm not sure how much more... (i'm not asking the vet be cause most likely he will say that i should go with kibble and thats it) i really want to give raw diet a try.

Right now i am giving him Beef and Chicken as protein, chicken feet as RBM and chicken liver (cooked as the breeder recommend) for the OM(80% MM 10% RBM and 10% OM).

My plan was to complement that, with fish oil but i'm not sure of wish kind should i use, and some supplements, the breeder recommend Dr Clauders Mobil & Fit for the joints and some minerals, but i don't know which other complement that could be use on a puppy for vitamins and minerals that he don't get from the base meal.

any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:14 PM

Sorry no one answered your post. There is tons of raw feeding advice on the internet. There are basically 2 theories on how to feed. One is called BARF and included up to 25% vegetables in their food. The other is prey model and include only meat and bones. The latter makes more sense to me because they do not have the teeth or the digestive tract to assimilate plant matter.

In either case, you want to feed your dog according to his expected adult weight. If he grows to 85-90 pounds, you would feed him between 2 and 3 percent of that amount. That would be 1.8 to 2.7 pounds. I suggest starting around 2 pounds and watch him to see if he still acts hungry, starts to get too chubby or looks too thin. That 2 pounds should be made up of 10% bone, 10% organ meat (1/2 liver) and the rest muscle meat.

For nutrients, vary the type of meat every so often. I like to give my dog a can of sardines and a pastured egg each week. I feed pastured beef and chicken with some tripe. Every so often I add some pork and turkey or lamb and or a duck head or neck for variety. It's not rocket science. Just jump in and do it. Your dog will thank you for it.
Pawsed likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 01:42 AM

Great advise abive.
I ignore my vets idea of good weight n go by my method of, behaviour: finished every scrap n looking for more. And i want to feel ribs. And see them once adult coat in. My vet treats pet dogs. The majority of dogs are kept overweight. Dont be that cruel owner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 06:13 AM
Crowned Member

was the puppy weaned onto raw? If not, you will have to introduce proteins slowly starting with whatever was based in his kibble and adding 1 more to that after a few days. I wouldn't consider chicken feet as RMB. They are more of a snack treat. Instead, chicken backs or wings if you want to make calculations easier since both are relatively low in meat. Or get leg quarters, trim off the majority of the meat and just weigh the bones. If the bones are too big for him to chew easily, put the backs into a bag and give a couple wacks with a rolling pin. A pup that old should have no issue with wings.

Over time, you want to be feeding a variety of at least 4 different proteins to insure that he is getting the nutrients he needs.
Pay no attention to those growth charts. They are horribly skewed by overweight pet dogs. Plus, no dog is likely to hit all of the marks even if they are "average" at one weight check.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Master Member

This is a good site with a lot of info and calculators to help with meals:

https://perfectlyrawsome.com/

https://perfectlyrawsome.com/dogs/raw-feeding-puppies/

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page