Picky eater, try raw? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Picky eater, try raw?

My GSD is 12wks and he just hates to eat canned food or dry food.. what raw options can I give him? He will be a working service dog as well.. so want to ensure he has enough to stay active and interested in training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

If you want to feed kibble, I would find a very good one and then wait him out. Put the food down, wait 15 minutes, and if he doesn't eat, pick it up. He will eat. I don't like to have puppies go hungry, but I also don't like finicky puppies. Don't add canned (unless you plan on doing it for his whole life). It is mostly water. You could add some warm water and make a broth. I would also make sure (vet visit?) that there isn't a health reason why he isn't eating.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 11:48 AM

I had the same issue with mine. Did cold turkey on the kibble and switched to raw. Haven't looked back since
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Crowned Member

#1 at 12 weeks, you don't know he will be a service dog. He is a candidate hopeful at this point.

I have an almost 2 year old who can be a picky eater. I recently tried to switch him to raw. He went on hunger strike, lost some weight and starting vomiting bile. I went back to the old tried and true kibble....

He has always done better on Victor High Cal than anything else so for now...that's where we stand. I don't think it's an appropriate puppy food. But it works for my kid
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 06:07 AM
Crowned Member

Luna grew to be picky as she became a bit older. So I did start adding some fresh foods to her diet but she will not eat the kibble without the fresh food when I feed her. It took only one time of me adding anything to her kibble for this to happen. She does not like can food either. I had notice she will eat the kibble plain when my daughter feeds her-every single time. The other day I gave her plain kibble she just scratches at the bowl. I took the bowl and gave it my daughter who then emptied it out and refilled the bowl with same plain kibble and luna gobbled it up. They train you fast. Maybe try adding just a small amount kibble to the bowl or if you have someone else
I'm the family try feeding see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page