Can I feed only commercial raw patties to a puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By GypsyGhost

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Can I feed only commercial raw patties to a puppy?

My 8 week old pup has soft stools from 2 kibble brands we tried (Fromm and Taste of the Wild), but she has normal stools from frozen raw patties. Would feeding just the raw patties (Stella and Chewy's and Nature's Valley Instinct Raw) be sufficient or do they need to be supplemented?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 12:23 PM
Crowned Member

With my next pup I will only use raw a few times a week, but not as their main diet. I just am not convinced that raw is the perfect food for a growing pup as nutrition is so critical at that time in their lives. Just because it 'commercial' doesn't mean it is complete. I am sure that companies are cashing in on the fact that raw seems to get more popular.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 06:30 PM
Crowned Member

I ran out and my delivery didn't come so I ran out and got the Turkey and Sardine(I think it was primal) I was pretty impressed with the ingredients and the dogs loved it. 4 meals costed an arm and a leg but if I had one dog I would go that route. I felt it had better ingredients then kibble and it was fresh. Again I was very impressed.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Knighted Member

Both of those brands are formulated to meet AAFCO requirements for all life stages, which means they are balanced and nutritionally complete. If your puppy does well on them, I don't see why you shouldn't feed them. Just my opinion, of course.
lhczth, charger and Jax08 like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:43 AM
Elite Member

Puppies and growing dogs need a lot of calories. I have to add baked sweet potatoes, brown rice or 1.5 cups dehydrated food to 3% of body weight prepared raw and my pup is 21 months. I agree with wolfy dog in that I wouldn't feed a puppy that young a raw diet, too much protein, calcium and not enough calories. Fromm and TOW can cause soft stools for some puppies. What did your puppy eat when you got her? How were her stools? She's too young to be trying to switch kibbles so much. I fed my pup what the breeder had fed, Royal Canin Medium breed puppy then transitioned to Maxi breed puppy at 4 months or so. Everyone hates the ingredients but she grew just and had decent stools with that kibble. I've never heard anyone complain their dog had soft stools with Victor kibble.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page