Beginners guide to raw? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Beginners guide to raw?

What is your opinion on a raw puppy died for gsd?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have fed raw for 18 years, weaned 9 litters to raw and raised countless puppies on raw. Obviously I am all for it, BUT, it takes effort to do it correctly. It isn't rocket science, but is much harder than scooping kibble out of a bag. Good variety of protein sources especially from red meat, good variety of raw meaty bones (though most puppies can't handle the bones from animals like sheep, pigs or cattle until older). I tend to use chicken and turkey as my base and then feed the other meats as just muscle meat until the pups can handle the harder/denser bones. Then organ meats (I use mostly beef, but also some from mutton), some tripe, maybe whole eggs here and there and fish (some fish need to be frozen in very cold temps to be safe to feed). I use canned sardines, but have also been able to get whole flash frozen sardines. Then there are other red meat sources like goat, bison, emu, rabbit (very lean), venison.

Most people feed 80% muscle meat, 10% bone (I have had better success with a higher level of bone) and 10% organ meat with 5% of that in the form of liver. The muscle meat should really be attached to bone to form raw meaty bones. Then I will add in salmon oil as they grow and the occasional (1 or 2 times per week) vit E. Some also use some other supplements that they can mention.

Anyhow, it is harder than just throwing some leg quarters and hamburger together with an occasional egg (I know someone who did this and caused all sorts of health issues in his growing pup).

Some good information on this site.
Raw Feeding

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:40 PM
F8h

Dear lhczth,

I am new to the forum and I have been feeding raw for about 3 years now (still learning). Am I correct saying that adults can be fed sheep, pig, and cattle meaty bones? I am trying to picture what size would be appropriete. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 02:31 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Beef is one of the harder ones since the bone tends to be very dense and often hard. Most of the beef I feed is just heart, other muscle meat and organ with the occasional knuckle bone or oxtail (though they are usually crazy expensive). Mutton/Lamb, I feed all, but the leg bones. They can handle necks, ribs, shoulders, breast bone. With pork, I tend to stick to the necks since they are least expensive.

Size wise depends on the dog. The lamb/mutton I get is cut in smaller pieces, but my dogs were all weaned to raw so they know how to chew. The pork neck is split and then I cut it into 3rds usually. These are usually a large chunk of bone with meat. Since the pork neck is so big and heavy in bone, I feed a smaller meal the next time with little to no bone.
F8h likes this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 11:52 PM
F8h

Thanks this is very helpful!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:12 AM

I plan to make my own raw food for our 4 month old pup. Basically from chicken breast, some beef, tripe, chicken liver and maybe chicken feet and/or head+neck for calcium.

I was wondering what should be the ratio of all these per kg of this mix?

TIA
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menglim97 View Post
I plan to make my own raw food for our 4 month old pup. Basically from chicken breast, some beef, tripe, chicken liver and maybe chicken feet and/or head+neck for calcium.

I was wondering what should be the ratio of all these per kg of this mix?

TIA
I'd be interested too. At the moment my 14wk old Pup is on bigcountryraw.ca food as that is what the breeder fed her parents and she was weaned on so I've continued with that at the moment.

It's obviously not the cheapest route to go so my goal is to talk to a local butcher and see what I can do to try and DIY my own RAW food and save some money.

My adult black labrador is currently on Fromm and my goal is to have them both on DIY raw and save me money every month ! That's the goal obviously but not sure if it's a reality.

I'm reading up here, there and everywhere but yet to find a laymans term website which says get this from the butchers, put this kg of chicken (or other protein) in, this amount of bone, this amount of veg, throw it in a blender and bobs your uncle, fanny's your aunt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8846.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	435706  

New to this Forum (July 20th, 2016) so be gentle...

Last edited by Animal_UK; 08-01-2017 at 08:55 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:46 PM

I feed raw and my dogs have never had kibble, they have been raw fed since they were born. I use chicken thighs for the bone and rarely feed chicken breasts. The thigh has a good ratio of bone, fat and meat. I also add organ meat, liver, tripe and ground beef. I've been feeding raw exclusively for almost 12 years now.

Ihczth has a good ratio posted above and a very good link to check out.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal_UK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by menglim97 View Post

TIA
, throw it in a blender and bobs your uncle, fanny's your aunt
Amazing, do you know uncle Bob and aunt fanny. I haven't seen them in about 6 months, but interesting to hear them mentioned on this forum.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 02:19 PM

Quick one for you guys. I spoke with my breeder today. Pup is 8 weeks old on december 23rd. I was all set for raw feeding from the start but the breeder suggested i leave the raw until the pup is 6 months old and just keep him on kibble until then. He is concerned about the growth rate. So now im thinking on keeping him on the kibble for a while and gradually introduce him to raw. For example at 11 weeks i will give a chicken wing with kibble. What do you all think. Anything wrong with going this method?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page