6Likes
  • 3 Post By lhczth
  • 1 Post By WateryTart
  • 1 Post By lhczth
  • 1 Post By lhczth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Future puppy owner

So i find myself researching for my future gsd for many hours and i get really bummed when i cant get my answer..

I would like to know how to go about the diet of my puppy and then teen and adult. Since i will be unable to afford raw for everysingle meal (especially as a puppy) i was wondering- can i feed my puppy kibble for one day and raw the next ( 4 days kibble 3 days raw)

I also cannot get my head around how raw feeding works entirely.. so i have read that the raw diet should be 80% meat 5% liver(that cattergory) and 5% bone according to the % of dogs weight. But is this for every meal sitting or should this be spread across a whole day??

P.s suggest some dog names ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

I also wanted to add; since ive read that fish oils are good for gsd. Can i implement the fish oil into the dry food. If so how often do i give i implement it eg every other day ?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:13 AM
Master Member

My advice would be to feed a high quality kibble until the dog is a year old or more. Creating a nutritional raw diet for a puppy is very difficult. Also, no, switching from kibble to raw day by day is not a good idea. It will upset the pup's stomach. I would invest in a high quality kibble and you can always give raw as a treat. I feed raw and this is what I do. I use Fromm as my kibble.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I, personally, would not be switching back and forth that way. Many people feed kibble in the AM and raw at night and, for them, it works. If you can't afford to feed raw, though, I would just feed a high quality kibble.

A good information source is:
Welcome to the Raw Dog Ranch

@kimbale Feeding and raising puppies to adult on raw is NOT difficult. Have done it for 18 years, 9 litters and countless puppies. Raw feeding does require more thought than scooping kibble out of a bag. Raw feeding is not for lazy people, but it is not rocket science.
WateryTart, voodoolamb and Mudypoz like this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:30 AM
Master Member

@lhczth That's great that you don't find it difficult, I'm just going off of my experience. Puppies have extremely specific nutritional needs and even some of the top raw experts and sources will tell you you're safer feeding a kibble and supplementing with raw up until a year old. I've been feeding raw for years, as well, and understand that there's nothing lazy about it. We just differ in opinion.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I, personally, would not be switching back and forth that way. Many people feed kibble in the AM and raw at night and, for them, it works. If you can't afford to feed raw, though, I would just feed a high quality kibble.

A good information source is:
Welcome to the Raw Dog Ranch

@kimbale Feeding and raising puppies to adult on raw is NOT difficult. Have done it for 18 years, 9 litters and countless puppies. Raw feeding does require more thought than scooping kibble out of a bag. Raw feeding is not for lazy people, but it is not rocket science.
After years of feeding straight raw, I've gone to doing kibble in the morning and raw at night in part because I don't want to have to pack the supplies for homemade raw every time I travel with her or send her to boarding; if she's used to eating kibble one meal a day, it isn't a big deal to her to eat it for two.

But truly, while the initial research and setup took work, raw is easy. I have a standing order with my butcher for raw chicken quarters, ground with some bone and 10% organ meats. If I pick up new, useful information, I can pass that to him and he'll make changes for me. He packages it for me in meal-sized discs, and I mix each serving with the appropriate supplements, some canned pumpkin, maybe a raw or hardboiled egg or a few greens or something else to add variety, and done. I have a dedicated dog freezer and a whole system for quickly making her meals and cleaning up appropriately (I'm a huge stickler for food safety).

All that to say, I agree with Lisa. It takes some initial thought and planning, but it isn't hard. Get the basics going first and then figure out how to add variety.

One thing I did find was that when I finally found a kibble my dog would eat (the whole reason we went to raw in the first place was that she wouldn't eat much of anything else), it is $1.00-1.50 more per lb. My butcher keeps it all at around $2.99/lb, maybe a little higher. I'm keeping the raw around as the main dietary staple because it is so much more cost effective (for this dog) than kibble.
voodoolamb likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:03 PM
Master Member

I'll have to do some more research and reading. I have always read that you want to be very careful with raw feeding when it comes to puppies. Do either of y'all have a link to a good site that explains creating a raw diet for puppies, including supplements, etc? The places I use recommend kibble. I'm currently feeding Fromm three times a day and supplementing raw with my 9 week old.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

So what ive gained is :

Keep the puppy on kibble till its atleast one years old, then start to do a kibble am and raw pm diet. Also can i implement fish oil into the kibble if so how often? Thanks for the quick reply
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:47 PM

Puppies eat the same as adults except I have avoided certain foods like pork and eggs until they are older. Chicken, turkey, beef, lamb/mutton, organ meat, duck (on occasion), beef tripe, sardines, salmon oil, vit E here and there during the week (both the latter two increase as the pups increase in size). I also add organic vinegar to water which I then add to their food. Bones depend on the age. Poultry they can deal with fairly young, but the other they just get as MM until they are old enough to eat the denser bones.
voodoolamb likes this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:48 PM

The biggest problems I have seen are people not feeding enough variety, not feeding organ meat, not feeding enough red meat, not feeding a source of Omega 3 fatty acids.
voodoolamb likes this.

Lisa Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page