Bone supplement - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Bone supplement

Hi im adding a link to a product here. Question is, when indont want to feed bones to my pups. Or maybe when i think i am not giving enough, do you think i should use a ground bone like the link? I dont want to overdo the calcium as it might be dangerous for large breed pups. Product says 100% ground beef bones no additives.

Or maybe just giving egg shells would be enough?

Grau Bone Meal: Great Deals on Dog Supplements at zooplus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 01:20 AM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't use this .
" Grau Bone Meal is exposed to high temperatures and enormous pressure during the cooking process. "

what are they making , diamonds?
cooked bone is not digestible.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 10:23 AM
Crowned Member

Can you find something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/KAL-Bone-Meal-Powder-Ounce/dp/B000HNHQPC/ref=pd_sim_121_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41gf6yLOWsL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR82%2C160_&refRID=0PT5CQP31SQPRSJEKJ7Y
Or this?
http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Bone-Meal-Powder/dp/B000MGR1J0
The KAL brand is made from New Zealand cattle. The NOW brand is made from U.S. cattle. Both are supposed to be tested for heavy metals -- that's important in bone meal, as cheaper bone meal may be contaminated with lead and mercury.

However, you're going to have to do some reading to get the ratio right, because bone meal contains phosphorus as well as calcium (and phosphorus is already abundant in meat).

Further reading:
DogAware.com Articles: Homemade Cooked Diets for Dogs

Doggie Chef: Calcium & Bone Meal Powder

Monica Segal's recipes online sometimes use a mix of calcium carbonate and bone powder -- not sure why, but you might want to check into that (my guess is that it's because the bone meal contains phosphorus too, and she needs extra calcium to get the ratio right):
Cooked Diet Dog Food Recipe | monicasegal.com

You might also look into the products sold by Balance It (affiliated with the University of California-Davis vet school) and Wendy Volhard/Volhard Nutrition (someone who's been feeding GSDs some version of natural diets since the 1970s).
https://secure.balanceit.com/
Volhard Dog Nutrition

I have no personal experience with either one. However, a friend feeds Volhard's mix, added to regular ground beef from a supermarket. The Volhard mix balances it. My friend's dog is thriving, and has been eating this way for years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Crowned Member

As long as you are studying raw feeding it is best to give them a good quality kibble to make sure they get what they need. I think it is less risky than experiment when they are growing so fast. In In the past I have given my large breed pups adult kibble to slow down their growth.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 11:02 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey-and-chandler View Post
Hi im adding a link to a product here. Question is, when indont want to feed bones to my pups. Or maybe when i think i am not giving enough, do you think i should use a ground bone like the link? I dont want to overdo the calcium as it might be dangerous for large breed pups. Product says 100% ground beef bones no additives.

Or maybe just giving egg shells would be enough?

Grau Bone Meal: Great Deals on Dog Supplements at zooplus
Eggshells are not. Egg shells do not contain all the necessary minerals.

Dr. Becker's raw diet book recommends the brand NOW Bone Meal. Look that up/

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 11:31 AM
Crowned Member

raw natural bone with marrow and blood ,and enzymes and attached soft tissue , collagen rich cartilage. So bone is not just a source of calcium .

I don't know why you would be hesitant to give the dog soft bone as part of a raw diet . Chicken necks.
Chicken carcass.
I have 8 week old pups able to do justice to a chicken carcass . In over 30 years not ever a problem.
If you want grind your meat with bones (chicken carcass) .
Bones are not meant to be the bone in T-Bone steaks , or sharp cut dense bone in chops .
Raw HAS to be done right .

Or - as an option , choose the very best quality kibble .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page