Rmb danger. Ideas - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Rmb danger. Ideas

Hi, my pups been on raw mince (not one of them as hes sick at the moment) ill start the balanced mm-rmb-om but although im really pro feeding daw, im so scared of the bones. I know tgat they are soft and chewable but ive just googled "turkey necks for puppies" and found horrible stories about bone bits being stuck in the throat/esophagus and some people had to euthanize multiple dogs for the same reason.

I was thinking maybe i should get a meat/bone grinder? Would it be the same?

What are your thoughts on these? I think if they chocked on a bone because i have instested on feeding raw and healthy id die
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Elite Member

Millions of people feed raw everyday, if puppies were dropping dead, we would hear about it. I wouldn't worry about feeding raw due to bones. Most people can't feed puppies raw, because they don't know enough and can't meet the dogs nutritional needs. That would me my first concern. A puppy given meaty bones, chicken backs, etc. will learn to eat slow, and chew. Which most dogs don't do when eating kibble.

You should get the grinds that are commercially available, then when the dog is a little older (less can go wrong with the dog, if you screw things up a little) start feeding raw on your own. I personally would not feed commercial raw for ever. If I feed raw, I want to know what the dog is getting. Not this paste that comes in a tube.

The raw feeders will tell you if turkey necks are safe for puppies. You just don't want something so small the puppy decides to swallow it instead of gnaw at it.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
Millions of people feed raw everyday, if puppies were dropping dead, we would hear about it. I wouldn't worry about feeding raw due to bones. Most people can't feed puppies raw, because they don't know enough and can't meet the dogs nutritional needs. That would me my first concern. A puppy given meaty bones, chicken backs, etc. will learn to eat slow, and chew. Which most dogs don't do when eating kibble.

You should get the grinds that are commercially available, then when the dog is a little older (less can go wrong with the dog, if you screw things up a little) start feeding raw on your own. I personally would not feed commercial raw for ever. If I feed raw, I want to know what the dog is getting. Not this paste that comes in a tube.

The raw feeders will tell you if turkey necks are safe for puppies. You just don't want something so small the puppy decides to swallow it instead of gnaw at it.
Thanks for the reply! I realized there are so called "complete" raw meals but when i look at the ingredients, i know i can make it healtier. Im giving mince and add supplements now. But fancy the mm-rmb-om rather than mince. But a part of me fancies grinding and mincing everything before giving 😳
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Crowned Member

turkey bones are a little dense for a young pup.

select chicken necks - smash with hammer if that makes you feel better -- select chicken wings , drumsticks, thighs .

I have not ever lost a pup to raw feeding and I have been feeding raw for close to 35 years if not more (if counting the "home" family dog)

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 04:40 PM
Crowned Member

So when is it safe to feed a turkey neck? Cam, my collie has lost all his puppy teeth and his big chompers are almost full sized through the gums. But Collies have a much softer jaw power than the GSD pups, it seems like. I never feed turkey necks to pups who still have their puppy teeth.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
turkey bones are a little dense for a young pup.

select chicken necks - smash with hammer if that makes you feel better -- select chicken wings , drumsticks, thighs .

I have not ever lost a pup to raw feeding and I have been feeding raw for close to 35 years if not more (if counting the "home" family dog)
Thank you. I might try hammering the necks do you think chicken wings are ok?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Crowned Member

If I feed heavier leg bones like quarters, or just the drumstick or thigh, I use a clever to mince them rather then a hammer or mallet. The mallet or hammer always seems to leave the bone in shards and that makes me nervous.

What I like best are chicken backs from a local wholesaler. Vertebrae with a lot of meat. I haven't had any problems or undigested bone with them.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
If I feed heavier leg bones like quarters, or just the drumstick or thigh, I use a clever to mince them rather then a hammer or mallet. The mallet or hammer always seems to leave the bone in shards and that makes me nervous.

What I like best are chicken backs from a local wholesaler. Vertebrae with a lot of meat. I haven't had any problems or undigested bone with them.
I dont know what clever is😳 Would i be able to mince bones with a meat grinder that i could get from shop
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post

Are you okay using necks amd wings apart from chicken backs?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 05:50 PM
Crowned Member

I spelled it wrong. Meat Cleaver:
9" Stainless Steel Meat Cleaver

I have an old fashioned hand grinder. It works, I just got tired of all the clean up. Necks and wings are fine, but they don't have a lot of meat so you generally have to add more meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page