Starting with a premade - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Starting with a premade

So my husband and I have decided that we are going to start our Bruce on a premade. We have three real options, which I have heard good reviews of all three companies, but we need to decide so I can figure out where exactly stocks them, and maybe request for them to order some for me, but I just have a few questions first.
Our options are:
Bravo Pet Foods
Primal Pet Foods
Northwest Naturals Pet Food

So I've heard all three of those are recommended, and I have stores local who stock each one. But some questions I have.

Frozen/freeze dried/other (dinner bars, pronto, ect)?
What formula? (Bravo has 4 different options, I know the only meat one isn't good, pup needs bones and organs too, but out of the other three I'm not sure. I'm tempted to get the basics, but the marketing is confusing me)
What brand is the most recommended? (I'll consider all three personally, going to go to stores this week and talk to them about it, but I want to ensure I'm educated before I go in, and I trust people on here)

Any other advice for feeding a premade would be very much appreciated!

~Deanna
Bruce - Born Nov. 9th 2015, Pick up Jan. 6th 2016
At the Bridge:
Max - With us August 24th 2015 - December 16th 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Crowned Member

I used Bravo Balance. Started with chicken and rotated meats

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I used Bravo Balance. Started with chicken and rotated meats
Thank you! I think Bravo is a little harder to find here, but there are plenty of stores around here that are listed as suppliers on Bravo's website, so I think maybe they just don't keep it in stock because of limited shelf life? So I'm thinking I may have to go in and request it, but if they are a store that says they sell it, I should be able to get it from them. I'm hoping anyway. Hopefully I'll get out of the house to go check today, if the snow lets up.

~Deanna
At the Bridge:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Crowned Member

THIS is what you want to look for: "Complete and balanced for all life stages"

Chubs, Dinner Bars or Nuggets are the "raw food" items. Chubs are usually the most cost efficient.

Bravo = "Balance": Complete and balanced dinners containing essential nutrients your dog needs.
learn more>

Northwest Naturals = All products: 'Northwest Naturals has developed complete and balanced meat based diets using the best of raw feeding principles. All of Northwest Naturals diets are strictly controlled and produced in a USDA inspected facility, using USDA inspected and passed proteins. Our diets are rich in protein, enzymes, amino acids, vitamins and minerals to you keep you pet healthy, happy and full of energy. All ingredients are carefully blended, rapidly frozen at -30 degrees and packaged to preserve the high quality of Northwest Naturals chosen ingredients. Northwest Naturals is the only raw frozen pet food that is produced in our own facility from start to finish. Our product is manufactured under the highest quality and safety standards in the human meat manufacturing industry."

Primal = "Raw Frozen Formulas" =our complete and balanced diets
"Primal Pronto" is a complete and balanced diet.

You will have to read the sites and decide which items are the most important to YOU.
Organic? GMO free? Where the meat is actually sourced? Where is it manufactured (self owned plants or made by others)? Price? etc.

Freeze Dried is another avenue but I've found it to be too expensive.

Hope this helps!
Moms
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
THIS is what you want to look for: "Complete and balanced for all life stages"

Chubs, Dinner Bars or Nuggets are the "raw food" items. Chubs are usually the most cost efficient.

Bravo = "Balance": Complete and balanced dinners containing essential nutrients your dog needs.
learn more>

Northwest Naturals = All products: 'Northwest Naturals has developed complete and balanced meat based diets using the best of raw feeding principles. All of Northwest Naturals diets are strictly controlled and produced in a USDA inspected facility, using USDA inspected and passed proteins. Our diets are rich in protein, enzymes, amino acids, vitamins and minerals to you keep you pet healthy, happy and full of energy. All ingredients are carefully blended, rapidly frozen at -30 degrees and packaged to preserve the high quality of Northwest Naturals chosen ingredients. Northwest Naturals is the only raw frozen pet food that is produced in our own facility from start to finish. Our product is manufactured under the highest quality and safety standards in the human meat manufacturing industry."

Primal = "Raw Frozen Formulas" =our complete and balanced diets
"Primal Pronto" is a complete and balanced diet.

You will have to read the sites and decide which items are the most important to YOU.
Organic? GMO free? Where the meat is actually sourced? Where is it manufactured (self owned plants or made by others)? Price? etc.

Freeze Dried is another avenue but I've found it to be too expensive.

Hope this helps!
Moms
Thank you for this information! This helps me decide a lot, at least narrow it down. I'm leaning toward northwest naturals, because well, I'm from the Northwest originally, and I know how they think about dogs around there and something in Portland, well, let's just say they have a certain reputation to live up to! Haha. Plus they just seem like a really good option to go with. They have everything made from start to finish in their place, they grind their own bones. All of their meats are raised in the USA without added hormones or antibiotics, and they work in a human-grade USDA environment.

~Deanna
At the Bridge:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page