When starting a young pup on raw - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

When starting a young pup on raw

So I've been reading up on raw, and my husband and I have pretty much decided we are going to do it for our pup, I just have a question about how to start?
I know about the 80:10:10 ratio, and I've been reading mostly that it is good to start with more bony pieces such as chicken backs for the first 2-3 days, or chicken necks or whatever, then do chicken for 2 weeks, once he has that down, start introducing something else.
My question is, with a puppy, should we start with more bony things, or start the ratio right away? Give him bone with some MM and OM.
I've mostly been looking at preymodelraw.com, and that is where I've seen the suggestion for more bony pieces first, but I know that you aren't supposed to feed too much bone. So I'm just wanting to make sure, only do bony pieces for like 2 days, then add in breast or quarters, to make the ratio more even, correct?

~Deanna
Bruce - Born Nov. 9th 2015, Pick up Jan. 6th 2016
At the Bridge:
Max - With us August 24th 2015 - December 16th 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:21 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I like to start them on just chicken (there is some OM on the backs) though I tend to use whole chickens for a bit and then go to the backs and leg quarters. Most necks are too small by the time a pup is 8 weeks old. When using whole chickens you can add some of the breast meat with the bony wings and backs or just feed parts of the whole and balance the MM and RMB parts over time.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I like to start them on just chicken (there is some OM on the backs) though I tend to use whole chickens for a bit and then go to the backs and leg quarters. Most necks are too small by the time a pup is 8 weeks old. When using whole chickens you can add some of the breast meat with the bony wings and backs or just feed parts of the whole and balance the MM and RMB parts over time.
When feeding raw, not every meal has to be balanced, just overtime make sure everything is balanced, correct? So if meal 1 he gets no organ, but meal 2 he gets 2 days worth, then the next day it's fine. That's what I've been reading lately. So we could feed him some more bony pieces for the first days, then add in more MM to it.

~Deanna
At the Bridge:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:30 PM
Knighted Member

Balance over time is the goal, but I personally would not want to give my dogs two days worth of organ meat at once. It would cause loose stool for sure in my guys. Just something to be careful of when starting out!

Train the dog in front of you.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:31 PM
Crowned Member

Organs can be very rich, because of that I give them daily in smaller amounts. When I seitched mine over I added organs after about two weeks. I started mine on leg quarters, but they were all bigger and older.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:37 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Organs can be very rich, because of that I give them daily in smaller amounts. When I seitched mine over I added organs after about two weeks. I started mine on leg quarters, but they were all bigger and older.
I also held off on organ meat for a bit after making the switch... for Roxy, I waited about 6 weeks (she had some issues with detoxing after the switch). Bash started getting organ meat after about month on raw, but he didn't get the full 10% right away because he couldn't tolerate it. He was getting about 5% for another month, then I was able to get him up to 10%.

Mine were also older, so I don't know if you can hold off on organ meat for a tiny puppy.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I was just using that as an example haha. I've read that organs is pretty much the last thing you want to eat because they are so rich. We will probably go with liver of some sort, and it will probably be a little bit of organs at each meal, I guess the unbalance would come more from the RMB/MM. For example, if I fed them a meal of chicken back, which is about 50% bone to 50% meat, and that was morning meal, then in the afternoon and evening they could get mostly MM to balance it out. But not every meal has to be 80:10:10.

We have decided we will probably keep him on kibble for a week or 2 so he can adjust to a new life without momma/siblings (he has 6 in his litter) and living here with us and the cats, without the added stress of a change of diet. Then we will probably switch to a high quality premade, there are a BUNCH of stores here that sell Bravo/Northwest Naturals/Primal. And then, after about 2 weeks we will switch him to prey-model. So it will probably be when he is closer to 12 weeks, but we just want to make sure when we do do it, we do it right. But that also gives us another 6 and a half weeks to research and make sure we are well informed.

Side note, any books (preferably can be ordered on amazon, or free pdf file download) that anybody recommends on prey-model feeding?

~Deanna
At the Bridge:

Last edited by Wags; 12-23-2015 at 10:40 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

There is a formula out there to determine what percentage of bone is in certain meats. I use mostly quarters because that is what I used in my equation when I started. A leg quarter usually weighs about a pound. If you take that and multiply the % of bone, it's about 4.3 ounces of bone and the rest is considered meat, so about 11.7 ounces of meat, add the remainder of meat needed for the day so if it's 2 pounds, add another 20 ounces of meat of do to reach the 2 pounds. Turkey necks are higher on bone and I might give those once a week and sometimes no bone the next day.

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
There is a formula out there to determine what percentage of bone is in certain meats. I use mostly quarters because that is what I used in my equation when I started. A leg quarter usually weighs about a pound. If you take that and multiply the % of bone, it's about 4.3 ounces of bone and the rest is considered meat, so about 11.7 ounces of meat, add the remainder of meat needed for the day so if it's 2 pounds, add another 20 ounces of meat of do to reach the 2 pounds. Turkey necks are higher on bone and I might give those once a week and sometimes no bone the next day.
Thank you, I just want to make sure we are doing this right. We are probably going to get some chicken backs, and lots of quarters, some liver. We will start him on chicken for 2 weeks, until he seems to be doing good, then add in chicken. We are going to be calling local butchers this weekend to do price checks. Also looking at buying another freezer of CL. We are in this to win it haha!

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Fo...hread/697247/1
I look at that forum to look at estimates of bone to meat ratio =)

~Deanna
At the Bridge:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

Oh and liver should be 5% of the diet no matter what. The other 5% can be other organs. I stick with liver and kidney always then add another one in there with the kidney. I just sorted for freezing for 4 days(beef liver, pork kidney, goat testes) and 3 days(turkey liver, beef kidney and beef pancreas). The next round will have thymus glands and spleen in there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page