feeding raw but alot of diarea - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

feeding raw but alot of diarea

Hi guys, im very upset as my dog is having trouble with her stool, very runny and has black bits inside/no blood.
Have taken to the vet and they said she maybe been having too much bones. Wich i have been giving just chicken winfs and legs with the bones. I honestly do not know what to feed her anymore, alot of different opinions and debates. So i just a healthy daily diet for her. Can anyone relate to this or help please ?

Waiting to hear from you guys thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Master Member

If you can rule out medical reasons for diarrhea, just deal with diarrhea as you normally would. Add rice, 100% pure pumpkin and decrease meat intake until the stool normalizes. Then slowly work your way back to the normal diet.

It's also possible your dog can't properly digest the food you're giving her, which may require switching to a different type of meat.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 08:25 PM
Crowned Member

How long has the dog been eating raw? In the beginning I had vomit and loose poop everywhere, until their bodies adjusted. Once they got past that we have had no issues, but it took some time.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 02:48 AM
Master Member

What does your raw diet consist of?

Fallon (WLGS) b 5/23/14 & Mira (Aussie) b 8/31/04
RIP: Katie (Bel.Shp.Mix)-CGC; Shadow (WLGS); Monty (GSxAkita); CH. Windy Citys Sweet Talker (Shannon);
Cheli; WC's Home Alone (Kevin); CH. WCs Dancing with Wolves (Tish); Ragnar-CGC; Tammy (GSmix)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Crowned Member

Please lay out what you're feeding so we know how to help you

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:19 AM
Crowned Member

don't do the rice and pumpkin --
better a day of fast

make sure you have hydration

you can prepare a healthy , amino acid rich , bone broth , home-made far superior to commercial salt laden (possibly MSG) products

go to your baby-care section and get pedialyte plain The Miracle of Pedialyte : Hangovers, Pets, and More

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozyoz View Post
Hi guys, im very upset as my dog is having trouble with her stool, very runny and has black bits inside/no blood.
Have taken to the vet and they said she maybe been having too much bones. Wich i have been giving just chicken winfs and legs with the bones. I honestly do not know what to feed her anymore, alot of different opinions and debates. So i just a healthy daily diet for her. Can anyone relate to this or help please ?

Waiting to hear from you guys thanks alot
This is not an appropriate diet for a puppy and she is obviously getting sick from it Lots of nasty bacteria in raw chicken.

Put her on a good kibble!

Raw Food Dog Diet | Animal Behavior and Medicine Blog | Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM, MS
Diffuse osteopenia and myelopathy in a puppy fed a diet composed of an organic premix and raw ground beef. - PubMed - NCBI

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Crowned Member

I don't know what you are feeding her. I don't even care. My puppy was weaned on raw. He is a healthy 2 yr now. He's never had kibble in his life. Never been sick. My 8 yr old hasn't had kibble since she was about 18 months. Never sick. Cat is on raw, no more IBD. All bloodwork on all animals is perfect.

HOWEVER....
IMO, IF IF IF you are going to feed a puppy raw then you need to use a commercial raw that is properly balanced. You can give chew bones like lamb necks, larger turkey necks. Bones they can't just swallow. But at 8 weeks that puppy needs to be on a balanced diet. And obviously she is not getting that.

First, put her on rice (boiled with 2x the water), a lean meat, a little pumpkin and some ginger for a few days. It will help settle her system down.

I fed a commercial raw for the first several months and then at least 3x a week after that mixed with homemade. You need to do some research on raw diets before you decide to do home made because chicken wings and legs alone are not appropriate or balanced for any dog regardless of age.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Hi well all she eats is minced lamb meet, minced chicken meat same again but diced now and then chicken wings. Pther than food she is gaining a very gd wieght and she is very playful and happy so it must be the food shes not happy with. Saying that i have 2 pups lulu is fine with the food but june is still having diarea.

I have not been giving any bones just like the vet has asked me

Many thanks for your replys wich i am grateful for your helps
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
don't do the rice and pumpkin -- better a day of fast; make sure you have hydration; you can prepare a healthy , amino acid rich , bone broth , home-made far superior to commercial salt laden (possibly MSG) products; go to your baby-care section and get pedialyte plain The Miracle of Pedialyte : Hangovers, Pets, and More

and per Jax08: IMO, IF IF IF you are going to feed a puppy raw then you need to use a commercial raw that is properly balanced. You can give chew bones like lamb necks, larger turkey necks. Bones they can't just swallow. But at 8 weeks that puppy needs to be on a balanced diet.
I feed raw. This is excellent advice that carmspack and Jax08, and the others below are giving you (except I believe that sweet potatoes or red potatoes are better than rice. My vet says they are easier on the stomach. Sweet potatoes preferably.) but start with the fast. BTW sometimes too much bone will show up as chalky in the stool.

And it is so important that Raw needs to be balanced or your pups bones may grow (or even not grow) at an inappropriate rate and then you will have large vet bills. Raw can be very healthy and successful but it needs to be done carefully. After a bit it becomes second nature and quick and easy to do. Also use a good supplement (Karbo Essentials, Opti-Pro Complete, etc.) If purchased in the large quantities on line they will last a long time.

I also add a raw egg three times a week (but that might be too much protein for your pup). They also need veggies, but preferably not raw. I periodically steam (keeps more nutrients that way) a large quantity of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, squash and zucchini, puree it and freeze it. Fast and easy. Start them out with just a little bit though. And I add just a but of plain Kefir.

Here is another good reference regarding raw: https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/index...id=305&lang=en and this link provides information on denatured meat which is used in some raw preparations: https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/index...id=359&lang=en . One of the purposes of raw is to provide your dog with a healthy diet naturally geared toward its species. If you get products with denatured meat in them you risk illness.

How is your 'little' girl doing today?

Fallon (WLGS) b 5/23/14 & Mira (Aussie) b 8/31/04
RIP: Katie (Bel.Shp.Mix)-CGC; Shadow (WLGS); Monty (GSxAkita); CH. Windy Citys Sweet Talker (Shannon);
Cheli; WC's Home Alone (Kevin); CH. WCs Dancing with Wolves (Tish); Ragnar-CGC; Tammy (GSmix)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page