Another newbie question: past due meat - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Another newbie question: past due meat

I'm wondering about meat that goes past the date where we can eat it, is it still safe for the dogs? The other similar situation I find myself wondering if it's ok is the meat at the commissary, there's a separate freezer with reduced price meat. I wouldn't necessarily eat it, I'm funny that way, but since people do buy it, they must eat it, it should be fine for my dogs? We're looking at getting a stand-up freezer so we stop wasting meat at the bottom of the chest freezer. I'm thinking at least let my mutts gnaw on the frozen stuff. Anyone else doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 07:06 PM
Crowned Member

First, if it's been frozen the whole time then I have no issue with feeding it. Even if it's freezer burnt. However, as a general rule for me, if I wouldn't eat it then they don't eat it.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Crowned Member

I am in a co-op that gets past sale date meat from a well known grocer....it is fine to feed to the dogs, and most of it looks perfectly safe for human consumption. Feeding America should be the one to get it, but they can't for legal reasons, so the animals benefit.
If I do get something that is really nasty smelling, then I'll toss it, but 95% of the meat is good.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:56 AM
Knighted Member

Same here - frozen and has freezer burn? PHSAW just some extra flavour for the dog!

If it's got that "off smell" but isn't green, I'll offer it to Ky ... if she doesn't take it, then I toss it. While lots of dogs will eat rotten meat (I mean heck, they eat deer and rabbit poop), I know that Ky won't, so I'm safe.

One of the things you can do is buy the past date meat in bulk and freeze it as soon as you get home. Then it will last a while!

Marionís Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Kyliegh and Onyx, Thanks for the reassurance. We get our meat from a co-op too. It's just that I started out purchasing too little in between deliveries. I decided to give both young and old dogs raw so we ran out sooner than I planned. Buying meat at the grocery store adds up since meat has sky-rocketed in price. I have plenty of frozen meat to hold us over until the next delivery on the 1st.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
First, if it's been frozen the whole time then I have no issue with feeding it. Even if it's freezer burnt. However, as a general rule for me, if I wouldn't eat it then they don't eat it.
Jax,
That was my original thinking. But since dogs have different systems for handling food I figured the limits could be stretched. They lick their own arses, but even if I could, nope!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Crowned Member

I guess they can handle things we can't. I've seen my dogs eat road kill before and never get sick. But...why risk it.

Yeah...like their own arses, pay extreme attention to the cleanliness of their private parts...and then lick you in the face.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Knighted Member

Well, yeah, they can certainly handle ickier meats than us, but I do agree with Michelle, I wouldn't feed rotten meat LOL

However, on a completely different note - Kyleigh dug up a bone that had been buried for at least 6 months (it did freeze over the winter) and she ate the rest of the disgusting meat and marrow and she was perfectly fine. I on the other hand was thoroughly grossed out.

Marionís Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:14 PM
Crowned Member

WD dug up and ate a chicken back that he had buried about a week before ( I remember him not eating it and coming inside with a muddy nose and then me forgetting about it. He didn't get sick from it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 08:14 AM

Our dogs are the best a cleaning out our freezer. My family owns a farm so we slows us have a full beef in the freezer every year. We never can finish. So the dogs get what ever is left. Give them a rack of beef ribs still frozen. Keeps them busy all day lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page