In need of some advice asap please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

In need of some advice asap please

I have a 13 week old white female German Shepherd. I started her on a raw diet 2 weeks ago but ever since I've started, she has had diarrhea. She has not had a full solid poop yet. She has been eating chicken legs, different parts of rabbit that I cut up, an egg every other day, and she also gets supplements such as salmon oil every morning, a probiotic pill every morning, and a spoon full of prozyme with every meal. These past 2 nights she has been waking me up EVERY 2 hours to go outside and potty where she would have diarrhea every time which is odd because I don't let her have any water after 8pm but she'll wake me up at least 5 times a night to go potty. She did not have to go so often when on kibble. I also have observed her straining a bit more just for a couple drops of diarrhea. I'm not sure what's going on but I'm starting to get scared and the next step is a trip to the vet but there are no "raw supportive" vets in my area. Any suggestions, advice, and help would be AMAZING and much appreciated!! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 07:25 AM
Crowned Member

Do the rice and boiled ground meat for a few days to sooth her system and try to get her gut working normally - then put her back on a GOOD kibble - some dogs just don't do well with raw - she is a puppy and needs to have good balanced nutrition

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 08:44 AM
Crowned Member

I have fed raw for years. My young male was weaned on raw and always been on raw.

I am BEGGING you guys! If you have a puppy either do a ton more research and be 100% sure the diet is balanced, feed a commercial raw or keep that puppy on kibble. Adult dogs have a bit of fudge room on diet. Puppies do not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 09:06 AM

STOP the raw diet. If you really want her on Raw try again when shes older.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Do you have an example of a well balanced raw meal for a week that I could use? I've done a ton of research and she appears as happy as can be, very excited and eager to say hi to everyone. We go out twice a day and she'll play fetch for a good hour.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 09:10 AM

I would feed her rice and shredded boiled chicken, plus a heaping tablespoon of canned 100% pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix). Chicken is easier to digest than the beef and the canned pumpkin should help alleviate her diarrhea. Lee is right, you need to get her digestive system stabilized. Keep her on that till her system is back to normal than slowly introduce a good kibble. In the meantime do more research on raw and if you are going to try it again follow Jax08's advice and go commercial raw for a while and see how she does with that. Then if it happens again just go with good quality kibble and supplements.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef LeDoux View Post
STOP the raw diet. If you really want her on Raw try again when shes older.
I agree with this. You need to get that diarrhea stopped. Several generations of vets have passed down this formula, which I have used for years. It works like a charm and IMO better than chicken and rice. (Besides, my previous GSD was allergic to chicken.)

*Fry a pound of ground beef
Drain off grease
Add several cups of All Bran cereal

Feed a handful of this mix several times throughout the day. A few months ago, one of my dogs had an upset stomach and did the same straining for a bit of mess, just like yours. I took him to a vet at my practice, who was not our regular vet. He handed me a copy of this recipe and some medication. I knew about the recipe, but he told me the history.

You should take your puppy to the vet. You have the rest of her life to start her on raw. I hope you will take a step back for now.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:11 AM
Elite Member

The more bone content you feed, the more solid the stool is. My dogs have never had diarrhea caused by a raw diet. I'm wondering if your portions are off. My dogs will sometimes get a stomach bug which will cause looser stools, so I'll balance that by adding more chicken leg quarters and less organ meat. Once their stool re-solidifies, I'll go back to the normal proportions. But the more meat and organ (mostly organ, especially liver!), the more loose the stool. I've also noticed that too much egg will turn the stool into a coated mucus blob. I feed an egg a day, but my dogs are all full grown adults. I'm sure an egg every other day for a pup is still a bit too much.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

I think I'm going to first try only chicken leg quarters and cut back on the variety such as rabbit. If I were to do this, and feed her 3 times a day, hope much should I feed her? She currently weighs about 23lbs. I will continue the salmon oil every morning, probiotic pill every morning, and prozyme every meal. I'll do an egg every 3 days and done pumpkin every meal and juices veggies to change it up once and a while. Are chicken leg quarters enough? Should I also give her boiled rice? Chicken back, necks? I really don't want to switch her off of raw, she seems to really like eating it and I have noticed a positive impact on her besides her runny stools.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Crowned Member

No, chicken quarters are not enough. It's not balanced.

Put her on rice (boiled in 2x the water), cooked chicken and a bit of ginger to soothe her stomach.

Once she no longer has diarrhea, if you want to continue raw, then go find some Bravo Balance or another commercial raw.

If she continues to have diarrhea over the next day OR exhibits any lethargy or other signs of illness, take her to the vet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page