Is my diet sufficient? Leq quarters - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Is my diet sufficient? Leq quarters

I have a 9 mo. male GSD and wanted to confirm my diet to determine if the community has any thoughts.

My dog is fed primarily leg quarters, however some other meats as well as organ meat is also introduced.Here are the specs:

9 mo. 80 lbs. Target weight 85-90 lbs
Feed three times per day :

Meal 1 (Early Morning): 1 Leg qtr (1.1-1.3 lbs), pork ribs (.3-.5 lbs)
Meal 2: Up to .3 lbs chicken liver and some commercial base mix (honest kitchen base formula - vegetables, vitamins, some grain. Mixed with water and livers)
Meal 3: (Evening): 1 Leg qtr (1.1-1.3 lbs), pork ribs (.3-.5 lbs)

Sometimes the 2nd meal is skipped, but if that case he eats the livers during one of the other meals.

His target was set at 85 so he eats an average of 2.6-2.75 lbs/day, primarily in leg quarters.

He is completely healthy - vet said he is in great shape and no signs of malnutrion or overfeeding. Perfectly fit, healthy, happy.

I have been reading that it is a poor choice to exclusively feed chicken quarters. Is this true? He has no complaints, and unless the community has other opinions we see no reason to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 09:28 AM

I'm on my phone, and an extensive reply is hard on this keyboard, so please excuse my relatively brief response.

A minimum of 3 proteins should be included in a raw diet, and if possible, 2 of the three should be red meat sources. (Red meat should be the majority of what you feed.)

I also use chicken leg quarters as my base, but include as much protein variety as possible, and feed as much red meat as I can afford. I like feeding chicken as my bone source because of the easier digestibility of the bone.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 09:30 AM

I just read over your post again, and see that you're feeding liver as your only organ. 50% of the organ you feed should be liver, and the other half should be other secreting organ (spleen, kidney, pancreas, etc.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I understand that we should increase our organ variety, but is there rationale behind the variety in protein sources?

Of course variety is best, but he is happy with the current system and, from our vet's determination, the dog is very healthy. This is hard seeing as our vet is anti-raw.

What effects could arise from the lack of red meat intake and majority of chicken protein? We tried ground beef but had no luck (i assume too much fat and so he had loose movements), all other sources of red meat that we have found are a bit expensive. He does well with pork - would you recommend increasing this meat?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

Variety is never a bad thing, but in the end you have to work with what is best for your dog. My dogs main sources are chicken and beef but they get turkey, lamb, fish, and venison added often. They didn't do as well with pork so it's rarely given

I think the issue if you are only giving pork bones so even if there's meat on them the meat content is very low so essentially you're feed 95% (just a rough estimate) chicken only. The saying "too much of a good thing" comes to mind, variety adds vitamins, minerals, etc that a single protein might not have otherwise.

Look around for at least two more sources of meat, check with butchers, co-ops, etc and see if you can find reasonable prices.

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 02:46 PM
Crowned Member

Here are some approximate nutrient comparisons for you to consider between Beef & Chicken

Iron content: (Heme = animal foods that originally contained hemoglobin)
Beef 3 ounces:
2.1 milligrams

Chicken 3 ounces:
0.7 milligrams

Beef Liver
3.5 milligrams

Chicken Liver
3.5 milligrams

BEEF (8 ounces)
Calories = 349
Fat = 17 mg
Potassium = 828

CHICKEN (8 ounces)
Calories = 275
Fat = 6 mg
Potassium = 425

Moms
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
It seems like a lot in one day. Did you do the math to determine how much to feed daily? I did the math at raw food ranch. Search here for it. One of the members run it. Then there is math to get the meat, bone and organ ratio correct. Too much protein can cause problems down the road for a growing pup.

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your feedback.

Are any supplements available which can replenish the vitamins in red meat?

We will incorporate some red meat into his diet however I am curious if there any multi-vitamins or individual supplements which satisfy this gap.

We also provide a base formula at lunch which includes added minerals. These are designed to be added with raw meat (no bone) to satisfy a dog's diet. We use it as a lunch snack.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 01:52 PM
Knighted Member

No no no, feeding just leg quarters and liver is not sufficient... This is why a lot of vets are opposed to raw because people do not feed it correctly.

Your dog is fine now but these items alone are not enough variety and he could possibly become deficient in certain vitamins and minerals over time. At least 3 different protein sources is recommend, the bulk of which being red meat. More is better of course, my dogs get chicken, turkey, duck, beef, lamb, pork, fish, emu and rabbit. Variety is so essential especially with organs, the bulk should be liver but others need to be included as well... I feed kidney, spleen and pancreas.

An unbalanced diet is not healthy long term especially for a growing puppy, how long have you been feeding him this way? if you need help finding more proteins sources the raw feeding community on Facebook is a great place with knowledge people who live all over the country and around the world.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC

Last edited by Carriesue; 06-11-2015 at 01:56 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonGSD View Post
Thank you for all of your feedback.

Are any supplements available which can replenish the vitamins in red meat?

We will incorporate some red meat into his diet however I am curious if there any multi-vitamins or individual supplements which satisfy this gap.

We also provide a base formula at lunch which includes added minerals. These are designed to be added with raw meat (no bone) to satisfy a dog's diet. We use it as a lunch snack.
The Honest Kitchen is a GREAT product but, if you are not feeding the recommended amount, per day, for your size dog, he may not be getting all of the daily requirements of vitamins/minerals with his other raw meals. More research is necessary for complete raw feeding.

These are fantastic "Whole Food - Human Ingredient" products:
Feed Sentials K9 (multi vitamins): Feed-Sentials Nutritional Supplement provides micro and important trace elements, immune boosting probiotics, digestive and metabolic enzymes, omega fatty acids and is rich in highly digestible bio-available plant based amino acids.

Sunday Sundae (Digestive Enzyme (helps assimilate food) & Pro-Biotic (keeps the "good bacteria" in the gut): http://ineedthat.corecommerce.com/Sunday-Sundae.html Since 70% of the immune system lies in the gut, it a good thing to keep it healthy!

Sh-emp Oil: is a blend of deep cold-water herring oil, organically grown cold pressed hemp seed oil, organically grown hand pressed extra virgin coconut oil and is the perfect partner for Feed-Sentials K9.

Phyt'n Chance: (antioxidents): Phyt-n-Chance-K9-A-Highly-Concentrated-Antioxidant-Blend combines high ORAC* marine and terra super greens which provide powerful antioxdant benefits. Split cell Chlorella and Spirulina are outstanding sources of complete, bio-available, nutrition providing important amino acids, minerals, vitamins and enzymes.

I became a "believer" when our 8 1/2 year old started acting like a puppy again after beginning all of these brand products (there are more on the site)!

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page