Am I doing okay? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Am I doing okay?

I just brought the little guy home Friday, he's 8 weeks and quite a character! He's been settling quite well, and time has gone in a flash! I've been feeding him raw chicken legs, and wings, yogurt, cottage cheese, raw eggs, and blue berries. Today I bought him pre packaged raw dog beef meat with veggies at Giant Eagle today. For supplements I've been giving him Spirulina twice a day along with NuJoint Plus and NuVet Plus (these are are given once a day). I'm thinking of getting grizzly's salmon oil, and a vitamin E to help with that. Also along with that some Bone meal to help a little bit if he doesn't eat enough bones. As with everyone, the goal is to keep our companions healthy and avoid HD and a achey body. But my question to you guys is this too much as far as supplements? I plan on getting carrots for him tomorrow to chew on to help with teething along with the chicken bones. Another question, what is the best natural remedy for fleas?
Thank-You for your help.

Last edited by Rebelpup; 04-27-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 06:00 AM
Crowned Member

Welcome! Sounds like you are going to really spoil your pup! I feed carrots for the teeth, but some think they have sugar, so I limit it to 2-4 times per week. I have also read you can freeze them, haven't tried it yet. Please post photo's. Enjoy

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 06:46 AM
Crowned Member

Hi Rebel Pup and welcome!

The NuVetPlus contains shark cartilage and oyster shell which is a form of calcium. The Bone Meal is calcium and the cottage cheese and yogurt contain calcium. That accompanying the actual bone he is getting from the chicken is probably way too much calcium for your pup. So you may want to re-think these additives.

I personally believe in supplementing a raw diet since it is not a fresh kill and some vital nutriments are missing but, especially with a pup, you need to be very careful with the calcium/phosphorus levels.

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the welcome! What concerns me is he's not eating a good 2lbs plus a day. I bought the bone meal to add to the pre packaged raw dog food. Today I woke up to hearing his stomach rumble a little bit, so I fed him 3 chicken wings, only ate 1. He's not depressed or anything. His activity level laid back, and a sleeper, though, which in that sense is confusing. It's confusing because I want him to sleep, he's a pup and needs it, but also confused that he needs 2lbs+ a day. I un fortunatly free feed at the moment, hoping he would eat all of it. Is this the main root of not eating enough? As fas as the bone meal I've been noticing sloppy stools which adds my concern of him not eating enough bone. Im at a lost!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 01:38 PM
Crowned Member

Hey Rebel!

First let me say that since you just brought him home this past Friday (3-4 days ago), the little guy is going thru some MAJOR changes. Such as, he was taken away from his mom and siblings, he was taken away by a strange person, he was put into a car (possibly had never been in one before?), taken to a strange home, with way different sounds than he ever heard before, possibly met more strangers in the family, hearing new voices, possibly other animals? new sounds, put in a new yard, given new toys, fed new food???, etc....just to name a few! LOL So, he is exhausted! I'll never forget thinking our boy, who slept almost all of the time, would never have enough drive for agility or tracking. Well, he finally woke up at about 6 months old (just joking!) and we could barley contain him! He's our 4th GSD and gives us a run for our money! More so than any of our other GSD's! LOL So I think, you just haven't quite seen who he really is yet! Give him several weeks to adjust to his new life......THEN you'll see a difference!

As for food, can you tell us exactly WHICH food you purchased at the Giant Way? Was it Fresh Pet? Or something they make up themselves at this store? How much? Do you give any kibble? How much? Chicken? how much? We need to know the exact ingredients of the prepared food that you purchased, and exactly how you are feeding him. You said you free feed, but what do you leave out all day? Any treats? Just more info please.

Here are two examples of how HUGELY different prepared raw food ingredients are:
BRAVO COMPLETE HOMESTYLE DINNER: Pork, sweet potatoes, pork liver, chickpeas, pork hearts, pork kidneys, green beans, dried eggs, cranberries, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, dried kelp, turmeric, salt, rosemary, sage, dill, fennel, mixed tocopherols, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, biotin, vitamin A supplement, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, rosemary extract.
BRAVO CHICKEN BASIC DIET: Chicken, chicken bone, chicken heart, chicken gizzard, chicken liver.
See the difference?

If he has not been fed raw before (???) this could be totally foreign to him, so whatever the breeder was feeding him, you should probably keep him on for a few weeks until he gets settled in and then slowly begin adding some raw.

Let us know!

Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 04-28-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page