T-Minus 3 Weeks Time to get the Diet Plan Down - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation T-Minus 3 Weeks Time to get the Diet Plan Down

I have about 3 weeks until I bring home my 8wk old baby.

I started originally wanting to do RAW, then after getting a bit worried about getting nutrition right in a puppy, decided to go high end kibble for about a year and then transition over to RAW (Seems that adults are easier than puppies when it comes to very specific nutritional balance)

Now I am back on the wanting to go RAW track. I have sourced cost at the Asian markets, there is a good place to order from online that is not far away, I looked at the cost of getting a freezer chest to put on the back patio so I can buy in bulk and store it easily.

Most of the logistics are out of the way. At this point I just need to focus in and work out the fine details.

Some of these are:

1.) How much and how many times a day to feed my puppy. I see some sites referece her Adult weight, while others reference her current weight. As for # of times a day. I was going to do 2x a day, but I read that puppies do better if fed less more often so would try to bring that up to 3x a day if my other half can come home for lunch to feed.

2.) Food type/ratio I know its "easy" for adults but the puppy specific needs are what have me a bit worried. I assume as long as I stick to the 80/10/10 Meat/Organ/Bone that all my nutritional needs will be met and she will be healthy, and I could add supplements if needed but I feel that this diet is supposed to be "prey model" so really nothing should need to be added.

3.) Treats, I want to try praise rewarding as much as possible, but at first food rewards may work a bit better until our relationship is built. Its not hard to give some kibble as a treat, but I am not exactly going to go around giving her a piece of raw chicken for following each command. What is a good innexpensive treat that can mix with raw without causing the digestion issues associated with raw/kibble mixed.

I am sure to have more questions, but this can atleast get some ideas flowing and some questions answered. Thants Everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Crowned Member

Just buy a commercial raw that you know is balanced. I used Redbarn, cooked hearts, livers for treats. If the food is ground, I make meatballs and use meals for training.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 01:44 PM
Knighted Member

If you want to feed raw there is no reason you can't start them off as puppies, in fact it is better for them.
Definitely feed 3 times a day.
The suggestion of using a commercial raw product is a good one. The whole raw/kibble digestion issue has also been disputed and I don't believe it exists at all. I have mixed kibble with raw without any problems , however I feed very little kibble.
For treats I use either kibble, for training sessions, and freeze dried liver for a more high value treat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Elite Member

You could also sign up for a "Puppy Consultation" with Monica Segal...just another option

Puppy Consultation
https://www.facebook.com/pages/monic...16331401727910

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Pre-Made raw is out of question unfortunately just because it is so expensive.

DIY with smart purchasing is the same or less than good kibble making it more approachable.

Lets hope that competition drives the price down some on the premade stuff, because lets face it the price is really inflated and catering to a niche community.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Crowned Member

Bravo Balance was no more expensive to feed a puppy than a good quality kibble.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

If that is the case mind sharing links on where you buy Bravo Balance?

Chewy.com has a Fromm for like $50 for a 33lbs bag.

http://www.chewy.com/dog/fromm-gold-...breed/dp/29119
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Crowned Member

You'll have to look. I bought it locally.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Local is probably more expensive than online in 99% of buying situations when it comes to branded packaged goods simply due to the buying/selling power of e-tailers vs brick and mortar stores.

I find it hard to believe that even with a "local discount" your going to match $50 for 33Lbs like I have linked above. Sure you can get more expensive grain free kibble but your statement was generic stating any "good quality kibble" not "the most expensive kibble available"

I would say then in fairness that your statement should addressed as YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) being that not all of us are local to you, and you can't even supply proof for argument.

Regards,
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member

Well, aren't you fun. I resent you calling me a liar when I was just trying to help you. Was not aware I had to provide proof of what I paid. Do your own research and don't ask for input if you are going to respond to people like that. Feed your puppy Dad's for all I care.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page