New BARF diet - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

New BARF diet

Hey all, me and my wife just got our GSD from a well renounced breeder here in Montana. For the past week that we have had him (9 week old Kaiser) he has never eaten a full or even a half bowl of his food. At first we had him on wellness puppy kibble. He didn't enjoy that very much so we started to put "blue" puppy canned food in his dry food. He started to not eat that as well.
After doing extensive research, me and my wife have decided to go 100% on the BARF diet for him. I have him about 1/2 lb of ground beef today and he absolutely destroyed it. I had never seen his bowl so clean.
So in conclusion, we have a few questions about the diet plan:
-What is a standard BARF menu for an average sized (14lbs) 9 week old puppy?
-Where would you recommend going for said meats?

I'll probably have some more questions as answers cons in but this should be great for now. I appreciate any and all answers and I look forward to seeing my dogs health improve!
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 01:14 AM

Asian grocery stores, butchers, anyone you know that hunts . . . are your best options. Sometimes there are co-ops if you are in a bigger city.

You might be better off getting prepared raw food for the first few weeks till she can crunch bone.

Anya 3/13/14
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 01:23 AM
Elite Member

I'm paranoid, so I kept mine on a premade raw as often as possible up until about a year old and then went to homemade. I used the Vital Essentials and a locally made mix from a butcher. Raw Paws (an online website) also has a pretty well priced premade (muscle, bones, and organ). You'd have to check and see what their shipping would be to you. For some, it's very cheap but for others, not so much.

Aside from that, start with a single protein muscle and bone. Get solid stool. The add in organ slowly. Usually an 80% muscle 10% bone 10% organ (half liver, half other secreting organ) ratio is good to shoot for, but you can adjust it based on your puppy. And then it's variation. I usually start with chicken quarters. Then add in liver slowly. Then start mixing up quarters or wings or necks or frames with various organs. I sometimes get a "whole prey" option (small chickens from a local farmer) that he can break down himself and have all the nutritious organs inside.

When he doing well with the chicken, then choose another meat (pork, for example) and start mixing in small bits slowly over time until he can eat an entire pork meal with no problem. And so on and so on.

There are many many more raw feeding threads on the forum. I would definitely suggest searching raw feeding puppy and you'll end up with a wealth of info! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 06:20 AM
Crowned Member

Good to see another owner wanting to go raw.
Your puppy is growing and will need at least one and a half pounds of food every day.

Bone is very important. Make sure there is adequate bone in the diet.
As far as where to go to buy, check to see if you have raw feeding co-ops in your area.
A good resource is the raw feeding group on Yahoo.

Starting Your Puppy On A Raw Diet | Dogs Naturally Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, German import DOB 6-7-2019
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 10:36 AM

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax8 View Post
I'm paranoid, so I kept mine on a premade raw as often as possible up until about a year old and then went to homemade.
Me too. I used Bravo Balance

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

okay, so i just went out to my local butcher and picked up 2 chicken carcasses that were about $6 a pop and both weighed in at 6lbs all-together. i Just fed him his lunch, beef mixed with the vital pre-made rolls for extra supplement but i want to give him some chicken tonight to see if he likes it. Not sure what i do with the carcass. Ive read that its mainly an RMB so would i feed it to him along with the beef he's been getting used to?
And with him being a puppy and all, should i worry about feeding him TOO MUCH bone. Also what constitutes "too much bone" in an RMB, it seems a little difficult for me to tell with a whole carcass.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserPuppy View Post
okay, so i just went out to my local butcher and picked up 2 chicken carcasses that were about $6 a pop and both weighed in at 6lbs all-together. i Just fed him his lunch, beef mixed with the vital pre-made rolls for extra supplement but i want to give him some chicken tonight to see if he likes it. Not sure what i do with the carcass. Ive read that its mainly an RMB so would i feed it to him along with the beef he's been getting used to?
And with him being a puppy and all, should i worry about feeding him TOO MUCH bone. Also what constitutes "too much bone" in an RMB, it seems a little difficult for me to tell with a whole carcass.
Please make sure you plan your meals out for puppy. Balanced raw meaty bones with muscle and organ meats. It's important to do correctly, especially with a puppy.

Correct me if I'm wrong but your giving some commetcial premake raw mix with a mix of whatever you pick up. This may not be balanced at all. If your really unsure of what and how to feed, stick with the commercial raw only for now and research and fully plan a menu for future use. Once you have a good understanding of what components are needed and have sourced those out, then change to your own preps.

You should not be just throwing things together. $6 for 2 chicken frames is crazy. The meat and fat on chicken frames will vary from one place to another. I get mine by the box which are 25 lbs and pay a whole $5 per box.

My dog has never had kibble. He was weaned from mom to raw from the beginning. I had a wonderful mentor as my breeder who was of tremendous help when making sure his diet was balanced and full of everything he needed. You need a good ratio. I do 80-15-5 stuffed into chicken frames.

Please research and find better meat sources and learn to balance the meals properly.

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page