Antibiotics/medication contamination in all raw foods? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Antibiotics/medication contamination in all raw foods?

I'm curious what your thoughts are on the effects and consequences of "antibiotics" and other medications commonly used on farm animals (e.g. cows and chickens)?

I ask because I started my dog off on wild moose meat and bones from a very ecologically clean region of Europe. These were basically as "wild" and "organic" as you can get in terms of meat. She has done fine on it.

But the minute I put her on beef (cow meat) from the market, I noticed green eye buggers/gunk dripping from her eyes.

I know most would call this "DETOX" but why would she detox on cow meat from the market but not "wild" moose meat from the forest?

I also talked to a few other local dog owners who feed raw and they said they ran into the same issue -- tear tracks & other eye buggers from feeding market meats such as chickens, cows, etc. -- whereas feeding wild game led to all of these issues to disappear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 09:24 PM
Crowned Member

You have made an interesting point. To avoid the antibiotics and medication, it would have to be wild game or organic meat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Knighted Member

Check around for anyone who produces kosher chickens, otherwise try to find an Amish farm, and check whether they raise chickens naturally (and even perhaps beef, sheep or goats).

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom View Post
Check around for anyone who produces kosher chickens, otherwise try to find an Amish farm, and check whether they raise chickens naturally (and even perhaps beef, sheep or goats).

Susan
"Kosher" has to do with how the animal was killed humanely and salted to draw out the blood.. I have bought kosher chicken that probably had antibiotics as it was not listed on the packaging as antibiotics free.

Moriah
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Crowned Member

Is Your Meat Safe? - Antibiotic Debate Overview | Modern Meat | FRONTLINE | PBS (overview)

Have not watched this yet (putting it off!).

The Trouble with Antibiotics | FRONTLINE | PBS (actual show)

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom View Post
otherwise try to find an Amish farm,

The Amish use the same "chemicals" we all do.

OP - look for an organic farmer that doesn't use abx or steroids.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Crowned Member

heard a program featuring Dr Joel Fuhrman
where he addressed the dangers and over use of anti biotics

this pretty much covers what he said Dr. Oz Show Today: Dr. Joel Fuhrman Says Antibiotics Are Making Us Fat ? CMR

Inappropriate Use of Antibiotics : Disease Proof

Carmen

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

I also noticed people recommending "chicken wings" as a staple of a raw diet.

But I'm assuming most chicken wings bought from markets are from mass production factories.

And I think there is ample evidence that mass production factories, at least in the US, are quite horrible in terms how the chickens are raised, fattened, medicated, and killed.

This one is about a chicken egg farm, but I think it goes without saying that slaughter houses are likely not much better:

Pennsylvania Egg Factory Kreider Farms Accused of Animal Cruelty, Filth - ABC News
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Crowned Member

such an important topic
I hope people take an interest and do some research , alter their own health and alter their dog's health for the positive .

Martin J. Blaser, MD, author of Missing Microbes: How the Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues

Carmen

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
such an important topic
I hope people take an interest and do some research , alter their own health and alter their dog's health for the positive .

Martin J. Blaser, MD, author of Missing Microbes: How the Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues
Definitely. I'm actually realizing the following --

if I only feed my dog "wild" moose meat and bones from an extremely clean ecological region of Europe (and other wild game to follow as the hunting seasons dictate) -- why am I feeding myself less than healthy meats and foods? Why am I feeding my son less than healthy meats and foods?

This dog food exercise has me questioning my entire diet more so than I have in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page