What if you can't handle being there - Page 10 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:31 AM
Crowned Member

there was only 1 I was not with at the end - but she was sleeping from a preop before the actual injection....that is a way to be there without witnessing the actual death....I know I will be a basket case and have the hardest time ever when it comes time for Csabre.......at 13, 3 mo it is coming :'(

I did take a friends Persian cat who I loved when she could not because he knew and loved me as well....

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:53 AM

I was there for my first dog who was a puppy mill Shiba that died of kidney failure. I sobbed in the waiting room for hours before I could drive. Two years later, when my senior WGSD rescue told me it was time, I couldn't go. My ex-husband went with him and though it was over 10 years ago, I regret it to this day. I feel like I let him down.

Since then I've been with two other friends when they had to say goodbye to their dogs. It was heart wrenching, but all a part of the grieving process. It doesn't hurt any less to not be with them, you know?
post #93 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:04 AM

I have had dog euthanized at the vets and at home. I highly recommend having it done at home if you can. For me the extra cost is worth every penny. I have sat on the floor cradling my pup's head in my lap, the tears streaming down my face and that is when the compassion of the vet becomes so important. Recognizing the loss and grieving you are embarking on and giving you the time to need to begin that journey.

If someone really cannot face it and it needs to be done I guess having someone else do it is the only alternative. That is simple black and white. But I like the idea of offering to go/being with someone to support them. Maybe that is enough to give them the courage to face it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:26 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cragbetty View Post
It doesn't hurt any less to not be with them, you know?
It might hurt less at the moment if you are not there but it can haunt you later big time. There will always be the 'what if' feeling, a missing piece of the process of grieving and regret. That is my experience, only once and never again. Being with them at the time gives me the strongest connection with them possible, I am one with the dog at that moment and the love and gratitude I feel for him/her is bigger than ever before. But the moment of death does feel as if we are ripped apart from each other. For me it is intense but something I wouldn't want to have missed for the world. There is a weird sens of beauty in it as well, especially when the dog can pass at home.
Sabis mom likes this.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 01-06-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page