German Shepherds Forum banner

Figuring out the right time

9K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  Sabis mom 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm very new to GermanShepherds.com. I have a 11 year old German Shepherd named Duke. I've had him since I was in middle school (I'm out of college now). About a year ago he started to slow down. He first started leaving a turd here and there overnight in the bedroom. It happened once every week, then 2-3 times a week, and now multiple times a day regardless of how many times he goes on a walk. More recently he's lost control of his urine as well. I moved from my parents home about a year ago into an apartment so he wouldn't have the struggle of walking on hard-wood flooring & have a low-stress environment (we had 4 GSD's total).

He has lost most use of his back legs and has started having issues with one of his front legs. He limps due to the issues hes having with one of his front legs, and can't get up if he starts pooping. I don't think he knows he's defecating. He still seems pretty happy; he'll still walk at a fast pace chasing his ball, and wag his tail. Unfortunately, I live on the second floor of my apartment building and he has been having difficulty going up and down the stairs. I try my best to keep him steady, but sometimes he will stumble (never falling).

I had an important wedding this past weekend and had my roommate watch him. When I arrived he didn't even greet me at the door or wag his tail. This is very unlike him. He's always been very excited to see me. This scares me because I know the time is coming, I'm just not sure when that is yet.

When I moved into the apartment I started having issues with worms. I believe another dog in the complex has worms and is being left untreated ultimately spreading the issue. I give my dog monthly de-worming medication that the vet suggested after I saw a worm in his stool. He's now having diarrhea multiple times a week regardless of the medication. I've spoken with my vet and we are trying another course of action. I've moved my pup back to his original home at my parents and I am staying there with him to see if there is any improvement.

This has been very stressful. I just want to do what's right for my sweet boy. With all the issues hes having; incontinence, arthritis in his back legs, stiffness in his front; I'm trying to decide what to do. I do believe he is still enjoying his life, although it is much harder now than ever. I would like to know what people have done in similar situations.

There is a picture of him attached!!
Thank you,
Joey

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
Crying tears as I type this as I empathize with your pain. I would give him whatever food he loves that his body can stand. Gentle massages with a soft brush and loving words. Visits from any humans that he particularly likes so they can talk to him and pet him. Play movies with dogs in them if he likes tv. If he can take it, car rides would be nice so he can get out and smell smells and see things in the neighborhood. My heart weeps for you as I too have done this way too many times. Hugs.

#28 ·
I am so sorry you and Duke are going through this. It is so hard to balance the quality of life questions. The at home is in my opinion the best way. the car rides and the food and the massages . all are so helpful for both you ,his loved ones and Duke. My thoughts are w/ you .
Maggi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.