Question for all breeders - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Question for all breeders

I was wondering what your cut off age is to breed a female and why?

CGC Evaluator/ Free testing for Rescue dogs

Klenien Hain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

U-CD Nomex vom Gebirgshaus SAR,BH,TD-2,VCD2,RAE,CDX,MXJ,AX,VER,NAP,NJP,CGC ( Retired )
Enzo z Blitz vom Kleinen Hain CGC NA,NAJ,OA,OAJ,AX,BN,CD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Question for all breeders

I stopped breeding Oxana at 7. I did try a last litter for her at 8 because I wanted to hold out a 2nd female from her, but the male I used ended up being sterile. So she stopped at 7. She's now going to be 11 soon. I tried doing the litter at 8 she had 3 litters prior to that. So it's not like she was bred from the time she was 2 every year. I think if you're going to breed every year or back to back, then you need to stop sooner.

I personally think after 8 is too old, and the risks too many. I equate it to a 45 yr old woman having a baby. Can it be done? sure Should it be done? not in my opinion.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

My female will be 5 in Feb, I would like 2 more litters from her she has only had 2 litters, first one at 2 with her previous owner and then age 4 with me, as long as she is healthy like she is now I will breed her but I won't breed past 7 and that is if she is healthy but if things go as plan this year (well right before she is 5 bred) then right at 6 and she is done. I don't want mine to be breeding machines and she means more to me than puppies so I want to stop while she is very healthy. right now she acts like she is 2 still..lol

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Crowned Member

Emi will have one more litter and then retired. She will 7 in the late spring.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Knighted Member

I think it depends on the bitch and their overall health. I typically have retired mine at 7. Even then, I've only had usually 3 or 4 litters over that period of time. In Europe, I've had friends breed good bitches longer than that; but I think here the culture is a bit different.

Trish Campbell

SG Harley v Triton BH,AD,T-1,RN,CGC,HIC,HOT
VP Myth v Triton BH,TT, CGC, Branka SchH3, KKL-2
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We retired Ira at 7. Unless something happens to require an earlier retirement, we'll probably retire her daughters, Raven and Della, around the same age.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Crowned Member

I bred Arwen at just under seven, had one pup in the litter and needed a C-section. I had her spayed.

I think it depends on the bitch. If I have a robust bitch that is the picture of health and well-being that had no problems with her previous pregnancy, and all the stars line up properly, I will breed her.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks, I was offered a 8 year old and they were willing to breed her before shipping and I just found that old to be breeding a female.

CGC Evaluator/ Free testing for Rescue dogs

Klenien Hain

U-CD Nomex vom Gebirgshaus SAR,BH,TD-2,VCD2,RAE,CDX,MXJ,AX,VER,NAP,NJP,CGC ( Retired )
Enzo z Blitz vom Kleinen Hain CGC NA,NAJ,OA,OAJ,AX,BN,CD
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Master Member

I agree, depends on the female. If she is in great health, has no problem delivering good size healthy litters, I don't think 8 is too old for a final litter. A young female who has consistent complications should be retired ASAP. Every dog ages differently. I have seen 8 year old dogs that acted and looked 12. I have 8 year old dogs that looked and acted 4. Some females LOVVVEEEEEEE puppies and have no problem bouncing back into shape. Some females would rather not be concerned with puppies, and/or it takes them a long time to recover.....

One rule does not fit all....

Kandi
Rokanhaus German Shepherds

Canaan CT
"Some Dogs come with a Pedigree, Others Come with a Legacy"
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: rokanhausI agree, depends on the female. If she is in great health, has no problem delivering good size healthy litters, I don't think 8 is too old for a final litter. A young female who has consistent complications should be retired ASAP. Every dog ages differently. I have seen 8 year old dogs that acted and looked 12. I have 8 year old dogs that looked and acted 4. Some females LOVVVEEEEEEE puppies and have no problem bouncing back into shape. Some females would rather not be concerned with puppies, and/or it takes them a long time to recover.....

One rule does not fit all....
Very good point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page