Sable breeders in OH - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Sable breeders in OH

Any ? If so, can you share ?

Any such thing as a low drive one & not DDR drives ?

Have seen some sites with sables, but most are DDRs.

I know they have more drive than your showline since they are working dogs, but any with calm not so drivey temps ?

Thanks for any info...............

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: Sable breeders in OH

What do you mean by "DDR drives"?

What are your plans for a dog aside from being sable? Would you consider a rescue from a reputable rescue?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Elite Member

My working line sables are not drivey but they aren't from the states or from a "breeder".
I think with a lot of searching and talking to a lot of breeders in the states you can find the pup for you if you are patient enough to wait.

Danielle

Mace, Hexe and Blackjack
Along with Charlie, Oggy and Luna the cats
Plus Chickens, Ducks, Geese and Guinea fowl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ok, not sure what the DDR means, but seems the sables with DDR or Czech in their pedigree are real drivey & working dogs.

Looking to MAYBE add a sable someday & asking for a GF that's also hunting, but wanting for a family pet. I know the showlines bk/tan are way laid back & do have a little drive, but not on the go 24/7 !

~Jen~

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

DDR and Czech are types of working lines, though not the only type. Yes, most DDR and Czech dogs have pretty strong drive, just as any other type of working line. So if you want a sable that is laid back, I would probably cross off working lines altogether. That also means crossing off the subset of GSD with the highest percentage of sables.

You can occasionally find sables in German show lines, but they are very rare. Sables are much more common in American show lines (though still not as common as working lines). If you want a more laid back sable, I'd suggest looking at the show lines, and you'll probably have to hunt around and wait a while for one to come along. Temperament though is far more important than color, so make sure an appropriate personality and drive level for your lifestyle is the first priority, and color is farther down the priority list.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Crowned Member

Vom Silbersee in Maryland does showline sables, but also some working lines. There are laid back working lines, and the DDR dogs can be laid back and good house dogs. Higher drive dogs can be absolutely wonderful house dogs as well.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Wolfstraum....the DDR dogs can be laid back and good house dogs.
Lee

My 8 month old DDR/Czech pup is in the living room, laying on the couch as I type this. Which is how she spends most of the day. (And the only "exercise" she has had today is being outside with me (on leash) while I fed the horses and goats this morning which only takes about 10 minutes.)

These were taken about 2 minutes ago:

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to denwil2007

If you are interested in rescuing, there is a sable boy in the Ashtubula, OH, going to be put down soon. He's young in a high kill shelter. Also there is one breeder I know who just had a litter of sable puppies.

You would have to describe to me what you are looking for as far as what you consider drives. To assume a show line, whether sable or B/T will have no drive is an over generalization, which depends on bloodlines. You have to ask the right breeder.

for show and performance
Sabian's Hot Pursuit v Southwind CGC --Chase
Bleibtreu's Ransom of Coda CGC --Chopper
T-Ho's BoclayBee-lieve in Me of Sabian-Cheetah
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks all for the info so far.

Rescuing isn't a prob for my friend, but hard to run into the dark sables like we both like.

Also, their family would perfer a younger (under 1 yr) pup due to them having smaller dogs & cats. This has been a issue with pound/shelter dogs b/c you don't know how they will be.

Looking for the look of the real dark sables with the penciling look on their toes & such. The dark, the better.

Wanting a dog that's not needing to be on the go, go, go & is laid back/calm. One that doesn't need worked a ton & just happy for fetch & walks.

Not sure if this is a male thing or not, laid back ? We now have 2 males & 1 female, & our boys are so laid back & calm. Our bk/tan female is like a dog on crack.........LOL GO, GO, GO & hard to sit still for 1 min. ! She is getting better some. We don't know her lines or the all black shelter dog, which is calm other than a prey drive, but do know our other boy is German showline & he is so calm.

Not sure if that's any help..............

~Jen~

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Elite Member

I would imagine that pup of any lines would be on the go. I have a DDR pup and he has a wonderful on and off switch and can really settle down in the house. I consider him to be a mellow dog, he's pretty low key. I do have a training session with him daily and we do over 4 miles off leash hiking a day plus leashed walks as well. Plus tracking a few times a week and countless games of fetch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page