Co-owning a dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Co-owning a dog

Just wanted to ask about this, as I have heard both good and bad.

- I have heard of excellent co-ownerships, where the breeder does support, both at shows/trials and financially from the get go. Does not take any credit for any of the work, but does retain part ownership in the dog.

-And those that use it for gain, do not pay expenses, but use it for additional exposure and nothing else.

1. Do you co-own any of your dogs?
2. As a breeder, what are your responsibilities to the other part owner?
3. As an owner, what are your responsibilities to the breeder?
4. What if there is an issue: breeding, expenses? How is it resolved?
5. Even though you did not do the training, showing, titling on the co-owned dog, how do you portray a co-owned dog as a breeder?
6. Same a question # 5 for the part owner and trainer/handler of the dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Co-owning a dog

Not a breeder but have co-owned several dogs. I put the money up for the dogs but do not retain custody of the dogs. Mostly it worked fine. Mostly I never recouped much (any?) of my money, LOL, but did have a lot of fun along the way

I can't answer any of your questions really but, If you don't mind...... I would like to throw a little advice your way: My advice for you is to get everything you think "might" come up in the future in writing! EVERYTHING! Every single conceivable problem or issue, ask everyone that has ever done a co-own what problems they have had and cover it in the contract.

TAMMY
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I do not co-own a dog and not planning to.

Reason I posted was hearing mostly bad situations, not good. And it was the handler/trainer that was on the bad receiving end of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 06:47 PM

I have co-owned my aussie from the get-go, which has been 9 years. I was kinda leery at first, but have to say I have had no problems..

I have a good contract, she is basically on there in name only. I chose not to breed her, which was fine by the breeder. Anything to do with the dog is my decision alone, all costs are mine alone, plus I get alot of rebates for titles (which frankly I've never collected on, figure I could put it towards another one some day), which in fact if I did collect on them would give me basically the dog for free and then some..

I really think it depends on both parties involved and mutual understanding by both parties and GET IT IN WRITING ))
diane

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Forgot one more question - why did/do you co-own.....

I need my mocha-tonix.... :-)

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Crowned Member

I would consider co owning a brood bitch, I feed and train they get a few litters, spay her and I get to keep her.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 09:03 PM

I have co owned a dog in the past and actually just signed the dog over about a month ago as the "contract" was fullfilled. I also co own another female puppy right now.

The current female pup I co own was because I wanted to keep her for breeding purposes but do not have the time or ability right now to keep another puppy to work/title/train. I also have her 1/2 sister that I am working, my sister has her littermate and 1/2 brother. I would still like to have the opportunity to breed her though. So the "owner" got a very cheap/free dog that he can work/train/title and I can have my possibility of breeding her at a later date.

IMO co ownerships can be very bad, or they can be fine. A lot of it depends on the two people obviously and how hard or easy they are to get along with.

As the breeder, I basically want the dog titled, OFA'd, and in this situation I will get her back for one litter. The owner pays for training/health cert expenses, I pay for all of the expenses related to my litter (stud fee, whelping expense, raising the pups etc..). The litter is mine, then the female will be signed over to the owner completely. So while I benefit from the deal, IMO the owner does too!

I try to make everything as cut and dry as possible in the contract, if something comes up not covered in the contract I try to be easy to deal with and understanding. My last co ownership deal worked out great and the co owner was also easy to deal with and get along with.

It works best if both parties are on the same page and agree with what they want from the dog, etc...

Basically in my mine, it is the owners dog and he can train/work her as he wishes, as long as he gets her titled so I can breed her

Will this co ownership work out as well as my last one? I will let you know in a few years LOL but so far, it has been very pleasant and I have made a great new friend just as I did with the last one.

Since I do not have kennels and only have house dogs.... and work a regular 40 hour per week job, I only have so much time/room for so many dogs. As a breeder, this gave me an opportunity to have another female available for breeding.

Valerie
SG Drama vom Haus Weinbrand SchH1 Kkl1lbz AD RN TT
V Frenzie vom Haus Weinbrand IPO1 APr1 KKL AD
Haven vom Haus Weinbrand (puppy in training)

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 09:04 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I have co-owned dogs and had good success with some and bad experiences with others.

The worst ones have been when I bought a bitch on a co-ownership. One the bitch was given to me, I paid all of the expenses, got the first litter -- they would get the second litter and sign off of her papers. I finished her championship, got her OFA's, and got my litter -- no problem so far. I sent her to the co-owners for their litter -- she didn't take, then came home 15 pounds underweight (vet documented). I refused to let her go back to them and offered in exchange to breed her to a "top dog" at my expenses and give them two puppies. They agreed.

The other co-ownership was for another bitch. I paid all expenses and they got the first litter then would sign off. I sent her to them after her championship and OFA's were completed -- she was there over a year! But they got their litter and she is mine now to do with as I please.

My policy as a breeder co-owning a dog that I have bred is usually the same as for a limited registration -- your dog, your expenses, your time -- I will sign off when certain criteria are met. In AKC you cannot show a dog in conformation events on a limited registration, so I sell show prospects on a co-ownership with the stipulation that the dog must OFA hips and elbows, must have been shown a certain number of times or have a certain number of points, and have an AKC training title.

With a bitch, at least you can prevent the sale of registered puppies if you co-own her by refusing to sign the papers. Although that is not full-proof. With a male, you don['t really have any control at all as long as AKC only requires the signature of one owner on litter registrations.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Knighted Member

I co-own one dog at the moment. I chose to co-own her because I bought her back from someone who no longer wanted her and I did not feel good about having the dog stay out in a kennel. She needed her own person and I was already working too many dogs at the time and did not want to add another to the "first string". I had sold another dog to my friend Laurie who likes to train, but that female didn't work out. So, I offered her the female I bought back because she was titled and is really a very nice and fun to work with, obedience dog. That is what Laurie wanted to compete in, AKC obedience. I did not charge her for the dog and I paid to ship the dog to her. She has paid for all of the entries and the care for the dog. I will probably breed the dog next year and when I do, I will have her here with me for the litter and then she will go back. We have discussed doing the breeding when winter is coming around because she can't train then due to the weather where she is.
Here in Southern CA, we have no weather... although it did rain today ...for the first time in two years.

Laurie is really not interested in having a litter of pups so, that's why the dog will come back here. This female already has a SchH 1 and Laurie has put a CD on her and intends to continue on with the AKC titles. I am not certain what you mean by "portray". I worked this dog while she was here and I own a sister to her along with both parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc. Another friend, who lives locally, owns her brother and is training him in SAR. I have worked that dog as well and help him train the dog in SAR work on occasion. I have a very good idea what this female is all about based on all of those things. When Laurie earns a title on the dog, I put it on my web site with the credit going to her.

I don't place a dog in a co-ownership unless it is with someone I trust and know is a reasonable person. When I have done this, it has always been a case where I knew the person for a while or they have owned another one of my dogs in the past. I pretty much consider the dog theirs and in this case, I did this mainly for the dog. Just so happens it has worked out well for the people as well. I enjoy it when people accomplish things with the dogs I breed. The breeding aspect is something I never set out to make money at, so, there is nothing financial there that will cause a problem. I make enough money training and boarding dogs and like to enjoy the breeding aspect free of the financial stuff.

I co-owned a dog with Lisa on this list but she returned her. She did not want to continue working too many dogs, so, I took the dog back and now I am working too many dogs. lol THANKS LISA!!
I didn't charge Lisa for that dog either but Lisa did foot the bill for shipping and paid for the care, the Vet and OFA x-rays. We did have a written contract but never needed to refer to it. This worked out well for me in the end because the dog is socialized and was started in all three phases. I really love the dog and enjoy working her, even if it did add to the already too many dogs that I try to work with on a daily basis.

I rarely will be seeking out people to co-own with. In the first instance above, it just seemed like it would benefit all of us, the dog, my friend and me as a breeder and so far, it has.

Anne

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Portray is how the dog is advertised with the breeder...

I have co-owned a dog before years before. This was my naive phase - I did not check into them as much as I should have. Good talk, portrayed themselves as more experienced and knowledgable than they actually were. No contract - but verbal, which ended up being worthless, as she refused to honor anything, but would post the dog on her site, etc. for advertising purposes as if she had done something with him

He ended up being the most titled dog in her program.......

I ended up ignoring the portrayel and advertising - people knew me and what I had done with him and people knew her. End of discussion. :-)

I do not regret it one bit - I learned a lot on how people are in the dog arena and the importance of clear, documented communication.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page