Female in standing heat only one day? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Sunsilver

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Female in standing heat only one day?

Hello,
I have a 2 year old gsd female that I am planning to breed. My male is proven (he's sired two other litters) and the female has come through 4 heats. She was flagging and standing yesterday and the male was mounting and humping, but no successful tie. I separated them for a few hours and tried again but same result. The dogs would just quit completely if I tried to help at all, or even just observe. Now today, my female, Portia, wants nothing to do with Kaiser. Is it possible that she's already past the optimum window? The breeder that I purchased her from never had any problems with getting a good catch with her bitches. Any advice or information would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 07:57 AM
Knighted Member

Sometimes with a virgin female, the passageway is too tight for the male to gain entrance. Get her progesterone tested, and if it's not too late, you may try to do an A.I.

If she's passed the time for fertilization, wait for her next heat, and if they still can't manage a natural tie, get an A.I. done.

Murphy's Law as related to dog breeding: parents health tested, titled, x-rayed, etc.: dogs have no interest in each other, or seem to have no idea what to do.

Neighbour's mutt jumps the fence: Litter of 10, for SURE!!

Last edited by Sunsilver; 08-31-2019 at 07:59 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:10 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Yes, some females can be receptive for a very short period of time. If the male is very experienced, says she is ready, but she is being difficult then you need to work on your dogs accepting your help. You may need a second person.

The female could have a stricture that prevents the male from entering her completely. The stricture can make it very uncomfortable for the female. I would get a complete reproductive exam done on her before trying again. If you decide to do AI, then you should also be running progesterone to know the optimal time for breeding.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your insight. I think we are past the point of having a successful breeding now but I will pursue an exam and look into AI for her next heat. Is there any chance that she could have been bred despite not having a tie?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:22 AM
Knighted Member

There's some chance, but I'd say it's very slight. Sometimes the dogs have what's called a 'slip tie' - the male's penis slips out without tying, but there's been a partial ejaculation into the female's vagina.

Better luck next time around!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:33 AM

Dont be micro managing.
A week of her not being ready and snapping at him.
and him licking her
and they will take care of it themselves wether you like it or not.
a true heat is easy to spot .
and you wont have to help them
thats kind of morbid
and you might be mis calling the heat.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I hope so too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page