• 1 Post By CometDog
  • 1 Post By Kazel
  • 1 Post By wolfy dog
  • 1 Post By CometDog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Singleton pup

Concerning a non-GSD. Dog had C section two days ago; all pups dead but one strong pup. She is considering fostering a few orphaned pups to avoid the singleton issues. Besides contacting the local kennel club and vets' offices what are other resources? Craigslist will probably be ruled out unless the orphans are vet checked and healthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:16 PM
Elite Member

Eww that will be a tough one. They usually come with mammas. My dog Ruger came from an abandoned litter that had to be bottle fed but he was at the shelter until released to a rescue at 8 weeks. They would need to step into luck like that. If I were your friend I would put an alert out to local AC as they are usually the first called. Even then with any abandoned littler craigslist or not I would think disease would be a concern.

Would it be better to place the surviving pup with an existing newborn litter? Contact a breed specific rescue? Or even another breeder?

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Eww that will be a tough one. They usually come with mammas. My dog Ruger came from an abandoned litter that had to be bottle fed but he was at the shelter until released to a rescue at 8 weeks. They would need to step into luck like that. If I were your friend I would put an alert out to local AC as they are usually the first called. Even then with any abandoned littler craigslist or not I would think disease would be a concern.

Would it be better to place the surviving pup with an existing newborn litter? Contact a breed specific rescue? Or even another breeder?
Great tips! Thanks. The surviving pup is not going anywhere; they are way to h
happy with him and will actually keep him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:25 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Great tips! Thanks. The surviving pup is not going anywhere; they are way to h
happy with him and will actually keep him.
Aww I hope they find some littermates. Our abandoned litter was transported with no dam from Georgia to NJ with a rescue transport company. So remind her to look outside her own backyard.
wolfy dog likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:26 PM

How about facebook? There are orphaned/puppies surrogate pages on there. Along with local pet groups. If they can maybe just look for a few young puppies in a few weeks that need fostered, but don't necessarily need milk just for socialization? But if they're worried about mastitis in mom they can look around. Lots of puppies being born. There is a disease risk so just have to weigh pros and cons.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks everyone. They decided to keep him as a singleton.
CometDog likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:22 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Thanks everyone. They decided to keep him as a singleton.
I'm sure know this, but "What The Dog Knows" is a GREAT book about a singleton puppy.
wolfy dog likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page