Raising newborns! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lhczth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Raising newborns!

I have 2 week old pups (5). I know they can still nurse from the mom but for how much longer? I am noticing that she is starting to let them wonder and is not as protective over them as she originally was so just don't want her to stop feeding them. Even if she does continue to feed them, when do I start having to feed them and what do I feed them. Both mom and dad are raw fed and mom has been eating in the whelping box otherwise she won't eat but I don't want the pups to start wondering over to her food and eating it if they shouldn't be. I do plan on selling the pups so it'll be up to the new owners to continue the raw or not but for now I just need suggestions on what's best while they are in my car. Thank you in advance!

😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Pictures of mom and dad as well as the pups at a day and now 2 weeks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-1031136140_1550132644896.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	381.8 KB
ID:	518195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-876682535_1550132657494.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	518197  
Attached Images

😉
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:01 AM
Elite Member

Puppies look to be well-fed, so mom must be doing a good job so far!

Here's a good article on weaning: https://www.canidae.com/blog/2015/02...n-her-puppies/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:09 AM
Crowned Member

Are you being mentored by your dogs breeder for learning support with this litter?
I didn't see it mentioned in either thread. https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...ing-birth.html

Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 02-14-2019 at 09:12 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:29 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Too early. I tend to wait longer than a lot of people, but the average seems to be around 4 weeks. Then they start them on a gruel of ground meats mixed with goat's milk. I start with a gruel of ground whole chickens mixed with the goat's milk. Others, the ground is just something like hamburger mixed with the goat's milk before they start them on the whole ground animals.
If they wonder over and nibble at some of mom's food, it won't hurt them. Only thing you will deal with is that mom will stop cleaning their sleeping area once they start eating something other than milk.
Sunsilver likes this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 02:16 AM
Crowned Member

I'm not feeding raw, so I put the dam on the food that I wean the puppies onto. Yeah, I start feeding them around four weeks old but I let them continue with the dam and she cleans up their food too, and I just expect that if I offer it 3-4 times a day, they will get enough, that with what they drink from their dam. Somehow they manage to be weaned by eight weeks. The dam does most of the work in that. I never separate her, and the pups seem to do fine in their new homes.

I wean them on dry adult food that is suitable for all life stages. I put hot water in it and wait for it to become luke warm, and then I put it down for the puppies. I put their head in it and they catch on right away. Some prefer their dam's milk and I don't worry about that. It's like my mom always says, "when they are 21 they will be able to tie their shoes and go to the bathroom." But of course she's talking about humans. People worry about how fast we get to this point or that point, and the best thing is to skip all the worrying. For me, I think the pups do better with the dam longer, and I know the dam seems to do best if she is not stripped of her puppies all at once.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page