12Likes
  • 7 Post By lhczth
  • 2 Post By PrinceJames
  • 1 Post By selzer
  • 2 Post By PrinceJames

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Female not eating after giving birth.

I have a female White German Shepherd who gave birth to 5 puppies (4 girls and 1 boy) on February 1st. Everything went smoothly. She is very attentive and caring of the pups like a natural. Muy only concern is that she is not eating nearly as much as she should be. She has been raw fed her while life. I've been trying to give her carbs, liver, and yogurt as well as her daily meat but she is only choosing to eat the liver and yogurt and then cries until she gets back in the whelping box with her pups. I've tried adding everything to make it more appealing to her(steak sauce, four cheese sauce, spaghetti sauce, peanut butter) but she only wants the liver and yogurt....

Any suggestions...?

😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Stop giving her all of the junk for one. Try feeding her in with the pups, maybe put a towel down so she doesn't get raw stuff on the puppy bedding. Sometimes females right after whelping won't eat well for a few days. My female Nike ate poorly the week before and the week after whelping. She was picky about what she wanted and I stressed about it, but it never caused her any issues. Her appetite came back after a week and she always had plenty of milk and ended up fat even with a larger litter.

Take your female's temperature to make sure nothing is going on and then stop stressing. I, personally, would also stop trying to feed her carbs. Plenty of raw meaty bones, the liver (or kidney) and yogurt should be enough for her.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Stop giving her all of the junk for one. Try feeding her in with the pups, maybe put a towel down so she doesn't get raw stuff on the puppy bedding. Sometimes females right after whelping won't eat well for a few days. My female Nike ate poorly the week before and the week after whelping. She was picky about what she wanted and I stressed about it, but it never caused her any issues. Her appetite came back after a week and she always had plenty of milk and ended up fat even with a larger litter.

Take your female's temperature to make sure nothing is going on and then stop stressing. I, personally, would also stop trying to feed her carbs. Plenty of raw meaty bones, the liver (or kidney) and yogurt should be enough for her.

That's great to know!! Thank you so much!! I'll try that today!

😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:59 PM
Crowned Member

What Lisa said, do not remove her from her puppies and expect her to eat. I usually set the food down just outside of the box, so she can take herself out of the box and eat, while she keeps her eyes and ears on her puppies.

Also, ensure that she is drinking ok, and if you have ANY question, dry nose, take her temperature. If she is running a fever at this point -- above 103 degrees, you want to get her to a vet. Do not set the puppies down at the vet, but bringing them with you will keep her less nervous. Even if you did an x-ray, she can have retained a puppy. That can be very dangerous. But watching her temperature, and the weight of the puppies -- if they are gaining weight ok, then the likelihood of her having a serious infection is slim. Are you weighing the puppies daily?

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
What Lisa said, do not remove her from her puppies and expect her to eat. I usually set the food down just outside of the box, so she can take herself out of the box and eat, while she keeps her eyes and ears on her puppies.

Also, ensure that she is drinking ok, and if you have ANY question, dry nose, take her temperature. If she is running a fever at this point -- above 103 degrees, you want to get her to a vet. Do not set the puppies down at the vet, but bringing them with you will keep her less nervous. Even if you did an x-ray, she can have retained a puppy. That can be very dangerous. But watching her temperature, and the weight of the puppies -- if they are gaining weight ok, then the likelihood of her having a serious infection is slim. Are you weighing the puppies daily?
I am actually. They are all gaining weight, especially 1 of them but nonetheless, still all gaining weight. I try to make sure the lowest in weight gets latched on at least every 2 hours and that has made a difference also. No fever, and she took nibbles of her food but is drinking plenty of water.
lhczth and wolfy dog like this.

😉
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

Liver and yogurt are animal based foods. Good. Your dog is eating the calcium rich yogurt. And liver has protein. She is doing the right things. Steak sauce, spaghetti sauce -- most of that is full of sodium and has no nutritious value. Do not give that stuff. Check your peanut butter too, some of it has xylitol in it, which is toxic to dogs. In some ice cream too.

Your bitch is making good choices, and 4 or 5 puppies is not like 11 or 12 for zapping her strength. If she was in good physical health going into whelping, and she probably ate at least some of the placentas, she should be fine working on reserves for a while. After a week though, I would expect her appetite to pick up. If not, then maybe you should consider whether you are allowing her to feel too much stress.

Some questions:

How much are you and other humans handling the puppies?
Is access to her and her puppies totally cut off from other animal members of the household?
How often are you removing her from her puppies to go outside or eat or cleaning the box whatever?

Sometimes we inadvertently do too much. She needs to feel totally safe, and she needs to be interacted with by you more than the puppies need it right now. When you go into the room tell her what a good job she is doing.

I set up a second box, so I can put the puppies in there, with her, then clean the first box, and then put them back, weigh them twice a day, and mostly leave her and them be. Some TTouch stuff suggests it is helpful for puppies to be handled early on, but for the first two weeks, the handling they get when being moved for cleaning and weighed is enough. My bitches will bleed more when stressed, other bitches may not eat well. It is something to think about, especially if this is a first litter.
Judy Untamed likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.

Last edited by selzer; 02-06-2019 at 01:14 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Liver and yogurt are animal based foods. Good. Your dog is eating the calcium rich yogurt. And liver has protein. She is doing the right things. Steak sauce, spaghetti sauce -- most of that is full of sodium and has no nutritious value. Do not give that stuff. Check your peanut butter too, some of it has xylitol in it, which is toxic to dogs. In some ice cream too.

Your bitch is making good choices, and 4 or 5 puppies is not like 11 or 12 for zapping her strength. If she was in good physical health going into whelping, and she probably ate at least some of the placentas, she should be fine working on reserves for a while. After a week though, I would expect her appetite to pick up. If not, then maybe you should consider whether you are allowing her to feel too much stress.

Some questions:

How much are you and other humans handling the puppies?
Is access to her and her puppies totally cut off from other animal members of the household?
How often are you removing her from her puppies to go outside or eat or cleaning the box whatever?

Sometimes we inadvertently do too much. She needs to feel totally safe, and she needs to be interacted with by you more than the puppies need it right now. When you go into the room tell her what a good job she is doing.

I set up a second box, so I can put the puppies in there, with her, then clean the first box, and then put them back, weigh them twice a day, and mostly leave her and them be. Some TTouch stuff suggests it is helpful for puppies to be handled early on, but for the first two weeks, the handling they get when being moved for cleaning and weighed is enough. My bitches will bleed more when stressed, other bitches may not eat well. It is something to think about, especially if this is a first litter.
She is doing so much better!! I take her out at least 4 times a day. Yesterday I left her food next to the whelping box and by morning, everything was gone. I can now hear her wondering the room at night a little. I only handle the pups to clean and weigh then and that's it for now. Snowflake ate all the placentas as they came. And access to her whelping box is completly cut off from everyone and anything else. I'm the only one that they see. I actually caught her twice today where she'll be on the side of the whelping box and the pups inside fast asleep. There has been a complete change and I feel much better now. I think even the bleeding has stopped too which is awesome!!
lhczth and selzer like this.

😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page