Front dew claw removal ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wolfy dog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Front dew claw removal ?

I am looking for some insight from other breeders please. My girl has recently had a litter of puppies. She had a total of 7. After 4 days one of the puppies died. I took mom to the vets with her remaining 6 puppies and the dead one, as I was concerned about her milk production (we lost another one a day later). The vet gave mom an injection of oxytocin and I was given 5 more injections to give her over the next couple of days. As 2 of the puppies had rear dew claws and I was at the vets I had asked for those to be removed. I left the puppies for a few minutes with the vet as I needed to return mom back to the car. We had used a side entrance as I was unhappy to be at the vets in the first place with a nursing mom and unvaccinated puppies. When I returned the vet had taken all of the puppies to remove the dew claws. Only 2 had required removal. I took the puppies home at which point I noted the vet had removed not only the rear dew claws that I had requested but he had removed all of the puppies front dew claws. To say I am angry and upset is an understatement. I have contacted the surgery to express my concerns however the vet is not available until after the week end. I am shocked that a vet has unnecessarily removed the front dew claws when absolutely not asked to do so and of course charged me for their amputation. Does any one have any idea why a vet would remove front dew claws?
Currently the remaining 5 pups appear O.K. I am weighing daily and they are gaining weight Mom still does not have a great deal of milk but I do have another girl who has hormonal problems and has milk so is acting as a partial surrogate which is helping a good deal. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:44 PM
Crowned Member

That is awful! I hope you didn't pay him for that "service". Why is it so easy to mutilate dogs by removing body parts????? Grrrrr......
Sabis mom likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:34 PM
Crowned Member

Field bred dogs often have front dew claws removed to prevent ripping in the brush. The vet should know the difference per breed and not have automatically thought removing front for a GSD is the norm. Now you have pups without their front dewclaws which can be a reason for a decline of a sale. I would be pretty upset if this were my litter. Big time. I hope the remaining pups thrive for you and that you switch practices if you ever decide to breed again.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:41 PM

Recently it has been purported that there is a direct correlation between front dewclaw removal and a dog having arthritis. Interesting stuff... would love to know what your "helpful" vet has to say about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page