Iso Advice, tips, and wives tales - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By lhczth
  • 3 Post By wolfy dog
  • 1 Post By SavageK9

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Iso Advice, tips, and wives tales

Hi everyone my girl is anticipating her 2nd litter. Litter #1 came to us right on time at day 63 with all the usual precursors. Today we are at day 64 and being the worrisome mother I was just looking for the opinion of others. She has shown minimal nesting behaviors just circliled her whelping box a few times through the evening and has spent a bit more time in her crate than usual. Her temp is steady around 100.2 in the morning 100.8 in the evening. She still has a good appetite and desire to play as always. From everything I've read there should be no reason to worry for at least another few days but after calling the vet to check in this morning she claims our puppies should have already come and has recommended getting a c section!!! I would never consider putting my girl through an unnecessary surgery. Can anyone chime in on this topic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Master Member

Someone here will correct me if I'm wrong but thinking back to the one and only litter we ever had.... I seem to remember Sheba producing milk days or maybe a week before the first pup......I've always thought that was one of the "predicters" along with a temperature drop....is your girl lactating yet ?? Even if you're certain when she was bred-I wouldn't think day 64 would be time to get out the scapel..was the vet planning on a x-ray or scan before surgery to see where the pups were ?...I'll shut up... hopefully one of the members here that also breeds will chime in with "real'" knowledge......bump
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:26 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Do you know when she ovulated? That is the best prediction for what day she is on. If you bred her before ovulation she could still be a few days off. Her temperature is still high for whelping. I, personally, would get x-rays done long before I would do a section. If she is carrying a small litter the pups may not put out enough hormones to signal the body that it is time. X-rays first.
Sabis mom and Sunsilver like this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

We did an xray on the 25th that showed 7 puppies. I did some nipped stimulation the last couple evenings and she is lactating. I also found it wild that my vet would recommend c section without even bringing up oxytocin to induce natural birth. Which either way I don't think we are at that point. So we have settled at taking her temperature every two hours from here forward and she's actually gone down to 99.8 from this mornings 100.2 reading.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Attached xray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	338B22C4-9020-4C44-9D67-1562F65B5799_1533228010638.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	509075  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:56 PM

NEVER use oxytocin to induce labor. NEVER.

So you know for sure she is pregnant. Do you know what day she ovulated?

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

I am a birth doula for humans so here are my tips: leave her alone, (meaning; don't check her, leave her nipples alone, don't mess with her) for several hours in a place she feels comfortable. Relax yourself so she won't pick up on your stress. Stress will postpone the normal onset of labor in humans and animals. Get a cup of tea and read a book while you keep her in the corner of your eye. Walk her gently and in a relaxed way. Maybe some of the pups need to re-position themselves. Gentle spinning may help, or bows (going down with just her front legs, butt up). This works with my human clients.
We mess too much with birth; animals and humans alike.
Good luck and wishing for a healthy birth and healthy puppies.
Sabis mom, Sunsilver and Mudypoz like this.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 08-02-2018 at 03:09 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

I'm sorry if I was misunderstood I do not agree with giving oxytocin unless absolutely necessary and never at home. I use vanilla ice cream to help her along but I wouldn't even go as to use calcium boosters without a veterinarian present. We did not do progesterone testing she was on the 14th day of heat at the time of the tie. So unfortunately I cannot say when she ovulated exactly.
lhczth likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

We are down to 98.5 this morning but still very active wanting to play ball. A touch of panting but still not much nesting although I have noticed her checking out corners as she goes around the house.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 01:27 PM

Has she started?

Lisa Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page