11 Month Rescue Pregnant - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By PRoberts

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

11 Month Rescue Pregnant

Let’s Start Off by saying, This Is Not My Dog. A Friend Of Mine Had To Get Their German Shepherd Put down Last Year And They’ve Decided To Rescue One From a Shelter, They Pretty Much Knew The Dog was Pregnant And Decided To Take Her In, They Bred Showlines for Over 9 Years So They Know What To Expected From Raising a litter But What Is difficult here is that from how young she is, they don’t know if she’ll accept her litter

Backstory:
Bell the Rescue was Found as a stray living under a porch With Its Partner a Husky Mix, 7 Weeks Pregnant So They Could Not Spay Her. Father Was immediately Neutered, After Five Days In The Shelter, My Friend Spotted Her in Her Cage Wagging Her Tail, They Knew It was Going To Be Tough To Bring Her In. But they Still Adopted Her.

She’s Still Pregnant, Due Any Day
They Have Everything Set Up For Bell, They Took Her To The Vet And Got Her ultrasound And Told She’s Having 8 Puppies their Just very worried she’s Going To Reject Her puppies, Also
there’s No need For C- Section But Lets hope She’s does Great with Opening The Sacks and Nursing Them! After All Puppues Get Adopted She’s Going staight
to the Vet To Get Spayed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 02:28 PM

You won't know what kind of mother she'll be until she has her puppies.

I don't think her age is necessarily a factor. Most shepherds are wonderful mothers although I had a female (first litter at 30 mos.) who did the bare minimum and was so disinterested in her pups I spayed her after her second litter. I gave her to my best friend where she lived like the diva she knew she was.

It sounds like she's in a good place with experienced people. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens. Let us know how she makes out!
Sabis mom and Sunsilver like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 04:19 PM
Elite Member

I worked for a breeder for awhile who bred her animals on the first heat EVERY TIME. Most of the mothers had no problem accepting their puppies, despite being so young. The only exceptions were a French bulldog, and an Akita. I've heard Frenchies are notoriously difficult to raise, perhaps due to the squashed-in faces. Mom certainly didn't show much interest in the pups, either.

The Akita birthed 9 puppies over the course of 2 days, and none of them were very strong. It took a lot of effort on the part of the whelping assistants (me and my employer) to get them breathing, so I can't say how much of them all dying was the mother's fault and how much was due to their weak condition.

I have to say I learned a lot from that job, but shed no tears when my employer fired me. I was one step away from quitting the job, anyway!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 04:31 PM
Crowned Member

This dog is incredibly lucky to be adopted by a family with welping experience. Nothing about her situation is ideal, but she's much better off where she is than she would be giving birth in a shelter kennel (yes, it happens), or under a porch.

Kudos to these people for adopting her, taking on a responsibility that they well know is a lot of work (and expense), including eventually finding good homes for the mixed-breed pups.

Everything about this situation suggest that this is a lucky mama, and her pups have the best chance they could hope for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page