Should I breed my GS a second time after she killed her 1st litter? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Should I breed my GS a second time after she killed her 1st litter?

Hi guys, I'm new here and this is my first post. I hope someone can shed some light on my current situation.

My German Shepherd had her 1st litter of pups 3 days ago at the age of 2 years old. She is a very gentle, non-aggressive, and smart dog. That being said, she has done the unthinkable and killed/ate her litter of 8 puppies. On the day she had them I had found one of the pups outside her large doghouse, (which has a tall lip on the entrance hole) and about 2 yards outside her 10x10 kennel. I found it rather odd and wasnt sure how it happened , but I put the puppy back with the rest and they all seemed fine. She was letting them nurse, and cleaned them periodically. That same night I noticed 1 of the pups had 2 deep wound marks on it's back, which I assumed was done from the mother stepping on it. She was licking the wound for the pup so I figured it would be okay. The next day the puppy that had escaped the day before was once again missing, except this time I could not find it. The puppy with the open wounds was dead, and now another puppy had similar wound marks on it's back and neck. She was still nursing and licking all of her puppies. On the 3rd day all of the puppies where sadly dead. Almost all of them had open wounds and maggots on them. She was still licking the puppies and seemed to want to care for them. She then drug them out of the doghouse, and attempted to bury them. I had to leave for an appointment and when I returned I was only able to find 2 1/2 puppies, and did not find any buried inside the kennel.

So, now I'm left wondering if my GS is a complete psychopath, did all of the puppies have something wrong with them, did another animal attack them, did she step on them, or was she crushing them with her teeth on purpose? And should I try to breed her again, or will it be the same outcome?

Sorry for the long post. Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:45 PM

I know nothing about breeding but i can tell you i would not breed her. Her having puppies might have overwhelmed her with the stress and hormone overload might have been to much for her. i know of a breeder who's bitche wouldn't care for her puppies she spayed her.
Findlay likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:45 PM
Crowned Member

Please do not breed this dog again. Not only because of this tragic outcome, but because, just to be frank.... you lack the proper set up time, and experience to rear a litter. I’m sure with more info we could find additional reasons why this is a bad idea.

Spay your girl. It’s the only way to make up for the 8 lives lost already.
Heidigsd, mnm, tc68 and 8 others like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 06-14-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 PM
Elite Member

I'm going to reiterate what the others have said in the hope of the more 'NOs' you get the more likely you'll listen... Don't breed her again.
tc68 and Mudypoz like this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:55 PM

Call tomorrow and make an appointment to have her spayed. This was not her fault and she absolutely should not be subjected to this again.
tc68, carmspack, Mudypoz and 1 others like this.

It was worth it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:58 PM
Crowned Member

No. She should be spayed. Some just aren't cut out to be mothers
tc68, gsdluvr, GypsyGhost and 1 others like this.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the fast responses. I will have her spayed asap.
Jax08, Femfa and Cascade like this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMonty View Post
Hi guys, I'm new here and this is my first post. I hope someone can shed some light on my current situation.

My German Shepherd had her 1st litter of pups 3 days ago at the age of 2 years old. She is a very gentle, non-aggressive, and smart dog. That being said, she has done the unthinkable and killed/ate her litter of 8 puppies. On the day she had them I had found one of the pups outside her large doghouse, (which has a tall lip on the entrance hole) and about 2 yards outside her 10x10 kennel. I found it rather odd and wasnt sure how it happened , but I put the puppy back with the rest and they all seemed fine. She was letting them nurse, and cleaned them periodically. That same night I noticed 1 of the pups had 2 deep wound marks on it's back, which I assumed was done from the mother stepping on it. She was licking the wound for the pup so I figured it would be okay. The next day the puppy that had escaped the day before was once again missing, except this time I could not find it. The puppy with the open wounds was dead, and now another puppy had similar wound marks on it's back and neck. She was still nursing and licking all of her puppies. On the 3rd day all of the puppies where sadly dead. Almost all of them had open wounds and maggots on them. She was still licking the puppies and seemed to want to care for them. She then drug them out of the doghouse, and attempted to bury them. I had to leave for an appointment and when I returned I was only able to find 2 1/2 puppies, and did not find any buried inside the kennel.

So, now I'm left wondering if my GS is a complete psychopath, did all of the puppies have something wrong with them, did another animal attack them, did she step on them, or was she crushing them with her teeth on purpose? And should I try to breed her again, or will it be the same outcome?

Sorry for the long post. Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

WOW!! For a first post you went nuclear on this forum. I got to hand it to you, that is the equivalent of your first tattoo being a face tattoo or passing gas in church. ROTFLMFBO

I dont know you yet but I already like you. I am sending you a friend request!
Hellish likes this.

Last edited by Shooter; 06-14-2018 at 09:10 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Hahaha, thanks... I think lol. Just trying to give as much detail as possible and get to the bottom of it.
Shooter and Cascade like this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMonty View Post
Hahaha, thanks... I think lol. Just trying to give as much detail as possible and get to the bottom of it.
and props to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page