Should I breed my GS a second time after she killed her 1st litter? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 01:48 AM
Crowned Member

NO
and you shouldn't be breeding . Not until you know the breed, and are able to provide better
care and conditions.

those pups with the wound marks on the back could just as easily have been dogs born with spinal defect,
like a spina bifida , because of a dietary insufficiency of folate.
wolfstraum, mnm, car2ner and 2 others like this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:59 AM
Elite Member

Glad to hear you are taking advice and making the responsible decisions. Keep hanging around, this forum is a wealth of information and a nice community

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Elite Member

I heard of a bitch that ate 6 of her 11 puppies soon after birth. She raised the rest. The only thing was that the bitch in the next kennel had been barking aggressively at her. Maybe she was stressed in combination of her hormones not being right. On the stress theory, maybe a raccoon or coyote was coming to your fence at night drawn by the puppy scent. Sometimes lower animals, such as stressed rodents for instance, eat their babies in order (in their tiny brains) to hide them.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member

shooter quote "
WOW!! For a first post you went nuclear on this forum. I got to hand it to you, that is the equivalent of your first tattoo being a face tattoo or passing gas in church. ROTFLMFBO

I dont know you yet but I already like you. I am sending you a friend request!"

quote "Hahaha, thanks... I think lol. Just trying to give as much detail as possible and get to the bottom of it."

I fail to se anything funny in this entire thread .

You have a very young dog, first litter , giving birth in some outdoor enclosure , in her dog house ,
with who knows what sense of privacy or security the female had.
The one pup that was found outside of the "dog house den" was rejected and removed .
You put it back .
She removed it again. A new born pup does not escape . Not even remotely possible.

You can not blame fhe female. She tried her best . She cleaned and stimulated them. She tried to nurse them.
and even when the pups had died , "She was still licking the puppies and seemed to want to care for them

and "hem. She then drug them out of the doghouse, and attempted to bury them."
I think not ! I think she is disbelief and last ditch attempt to remedy the situation she tried to dig a soft
concave area to den in.
dogs don't perform funeral rites.
It is instinctive for the dam to consume dead pups to keep the area clean no life rizkiing bacteria.Th

the pups with the wounds -- I can well imagine those high pitched distress calls from the pups and the dam
getting distressed, and picking them up moving them around, carrying them, out of her mind trying to care for them . Damage accidental .

the pups may have chilled over night which risks life or they may have had hepatitis - another suspect in
FADING PUPPY SYNDROME

I don't see bad maternal instincts here as much as you would like to blame the female

quote "So, now I'm left wondering if my GS is a complete psychopath,"

NO. This is wo wrong . Where is YOUR empathy. concern for her . First question should I
breed her again.
Why did you breed her for this first litter.

I see a situation where the dog does not have the proper conditions to raise a litter.
The animal is probably distressed .

I hope she doesn't have to go through this again. I hope she isn't harshly dealt with because she was
a disappointment .

Spay her. If she has no more purpose for you - then find her a good home.
wolfstraum, angelas, mnm and 12 others like this.

Carmen

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

this thread has me totally upset.....so so so sad for those poor pups and their poor mom.....

everyone with a female thinks they can just throw 2 dogs together, get pups and make money....

unfortunately, disasters are way too common and the dogs suffer....

agree with Carmen....find this dog a good home where she will be cared for properly, not used for breeding and be loved...dogs are not commodities...they have feelings....

Lee
mnm, Melody, carmspack and 4 others like this.

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 02:39 PM
Master Member

I got my first female 3+ years ago. Until that time I always had boys. It never occurred to me to breed her. But suddenly, everyone was asking me if I was going to!!!

It is something I cannot understand. Just because I have a female, doesn't mean she is worthy of breeding.

That being said, she became a very lovely, specimen with a stellar pedigree, so I did her hips/ elbow X-rays. Hips good, elbows did not pass. So I spayed her.

Would you believe, I got criticized for it!! SMH!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Crowned Member

This thread has me choking on anger and empathy.
The poor puppies and this poor mama dog. Had you stepped in at the first sign of trouble much of this disaster could have been averted.
Spay her and do your best to make up for this tragedy. She deserves so much more.
Melody, gsdluvr, Findlay and 2 others like this.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdluvr View Post
I got my first female 3+ years ago. Until that time I always had boys. It never occurred to me to breed her. But suddenly, everyone was asking me if I was going to!!!

It is something I cannot understand. Just because I have a female, doesn't mean she is worthy of breeding.

That being said, she became a very lovely, specimen with a stellar pedigree, so I did her hips/ elbow X-rays. Hips good, elbows did not pass. So I spayed her.

Would you believe, I got criticized for it!! SMH!

I got the same thing when I got my female, especially since I already had a gorgeous male. My gal-dog has a good pedigree, I think a good build (haven't x-rayed her joints yet), genes are squeeky clean, her drive is wonderful as well as her endurance BUT she doesn't have the confidence I'd insist on seeing in a GSD. She got spayed between her 2nd and 3rd heat.
gsdluvr and Sabis mom like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:40 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I got the same thing when I got my female, especially since I already had a gorgeous male. My gal-dog has a good pedigree, I think a good build (haven't x-rayed her joints yet), genes are squeeky clean, her drive is wonderful as well as her endurance BUT she doesn't have the confidence I'd insist on seeing in a GSD. She got spayed between her 2nd and 3rd heat.

Sigh......
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
Funny how that works isn't it? I had people begging me to breed Sabi, and she was way oversized with a totally unknown background. Courage, work ethic, temperament she had in spades, and I would be lying if I said I didn't think about it. Especially since I had Bud, who had everything she lacked. Fortunately I came to my senses before I created a tragedy.

I STILL have morons trying to convince me to breed Little Miss Genetic Disaster!

I hope the OP follows through and has this poor girl spayed. And I sincerely hope that this whole disaster was a result of young, un informed and well meaning, although I am disheartened by the cavalier attitude.
gsdluvr and car2ner like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page