Urgent puppies being born now - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Urgent puppies being born now

I'm out of town and my wife is there she don't know what to do... Question.. she says nyla isn't letting the puppy eat from her.. how long can the pup go without being on mom they were just born
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 09:57 PM
Elite Member

It is very important for the puppies to get the first milk from the bitch, as it is the colostrum and contains valuable antibodies to protect them against diseases.

Please give more details: how old is the female, and what breed? I assume this is her first litter?
How many puppies? Has she finished giving birth? Did she show any interest in the pups when they were born (cleaning them up.)?

If she won't let the puppies nurse, they will have to be hand reared, which is very difficult. They need to be fed around the clock every couple of hours. They also need to be kept warm, so you will need a heating pad. And after feeding they have to have their tummies and genitals rubbed to make them go to the toilet.

There are different formulas for feeding puppies. They cannot have cow's milk. You can get a commercial formula from the vet. Leerburg has a home-made formula that uses goat's milk:

Leerburg | Bottle Feeding Puppies
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 10:00 PM
Elite Member

Also, mom will have to be watched very closely, as she may try to hurt or even eat the puppies if she is not accepting them. You may have to separate her from them. You could try muzzling her until the puppies can at least get that first bit of colostrum. You can improvise a muzzle out of some gauze. Don't leave her unattended when she's wearing it though: she will try to take it off, and may get her paw caught in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 10:35 PM
Crowned Member

Find a breeder of any breed to help you asap. I had a foster dog who refused the first pup but I let her sniff it several times and when the next one was born, motherhood hit her well and she was OK. Are there too many interventions going on, fidgeting with the birthing mom etc? maybe she needs peace and quiet and a dark environment.
Sunsilver likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 10:57 PM

She has gotten them to eat.. at the time of this post 1 boy was born... She just pushed out the 3rd pup... 3 boys as of now.. thanks for the tips I was on stage and couldn't really type or coach her but now I'm headed home 4hr drive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10156257523778971_1527389801299.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	503497  
Sunsilver and Mame like this.

Nyla {GSD 4/14/16}
Follow & watch her grow [email protected]
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 11:12 PM
Crowned Member

That sounds hopeful. Please let her be if at all possible. I was told to have a heating lamp and to rub the pups but then a breeder friend told me to leave everything alonea s the pups would crawl to the mom's body heat and let her deal with cleaning the ups. That worked. I learned a lot that night, mainly to trust the dog. I cringed when I saw her chew the umbilical cords but she did fine.
A few days later, she pulled every pup, one by one, towards her by that dried up cord and nibbled it off to the skin. Again, I almost freaked out but had confidence in that she knew what she was doing. And she did! All was left was a tiny red spot on those bellies and none were injured. Later I became a birth doula for human babies and again, too many interventions lead to often unnecessary complications.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 06:39 PM

Everything is smooth sailing... she had 8 Boys.. only concern at this point is her stepping on them when she is moving around in the whelping or when entering/leaving area.. the box isn't too small but isn't too big either its 4x4 she has plenty of room just isn't paying attention where she is stepping

Red collar is significantly smaller than the rest
Attached Images

MishkasMom likes this.

Nyla {GSD 4/14/16}
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:05 AM

Is this normal behavior? I'm noticing that Nyla (dam) is starting to take a single puppy out of the whelping area and into a different part of the room... Yesterday I heard one making a loud noise it just sounded strange so I entered the room and nyla was up under a desk with the puppy underneath her... the puppy was making lots of loud noises I had never heard before and was super wet (I guess from being in Nyla's mouth) this was the orange collar puppy

then this morning my wife woke me up saying I should check on the puppies (she is afraid to since nyla growled at her during whelping) so I went to check and this time Nyla was in the bathroom (the room the whelping box is in has a door that leads to a bathroom, I must've left it open on accident last night) and again nyla was on top of this puppy (red collar runt) this one was making same noise as the other... and was soaking wet...

and now she has just done the same thing to purple collar pup... she has move him into the kennel... I noticed her (Nyla) whinning and licking its belly I think the umbilical cord area... but now she is just laying in the kennel with this puppy.. this kennel is across the room from the whelping box with the other pups..

is this normal behavior? I tried to get a picture but she exited the kennel and now she is just walking around the room (purple collar pup is still in the kennel) now she is laying in kennel with that 1 pup.. should I move this pup back into whelping area?

help not sure whats going on she is now moving white collar pup into kennel (this puppy is yelping really loud and nyla is licking umbilical cord area) I have no clue what she is doing she is now in the kennel with 2 of the pups

Nyla {GSD 4/14/16}

Last edited by InControlK9; 05-29-2018 at 09:11 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:17 AM
Elite Member

I have no experience in breeding or whelping but just a thought. Is the bedding in the whelping box clean. I've heard that it needs to be cleaned quite often. I would make sure she doesn't lay on the pups. Hopefully those experienced will chime in with help soon.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:28 AM
Crowned Member

She has independent access to too many areas.
Mame likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page