Urgent puppies being born now - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
I have no experience in breeding or whelping but just a thought. Is the bedding in the whelping box clean. I've heard that it needs to be cleaned quite often. I would make sure she doesn't lay on the pups. Hopefully those experienced will chime in with help soon.
Whelping area is very clean.. we keep that area clean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33802483_10156262843923971_7390324675466756096_n.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	503857   Click image for larger version

Name:	33770614_10156262811353971_6538772826927661056_n.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	503865  
Springbrz likes this.

Nyla {GSD 4/14/16}
Follow & watch her grow [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:48 AM

The trellis might not feel secure enough of a den environment to your dog, try draping the outside of it. I also wonder why you don't have pig rails?

ETA: A dog has to lick a puppy to stimulate the bladder/bowel movements.
Genalis_mom likes this.

Kimmy, GSD - 9/2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buckley, GSD - 1/2018
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stella, 100% Mutt - 2/2018

Chester Copperpot, Siamese Cat - 2008 to 2016

Last edited by Mame; 05-29-2018 at 10:24 AM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 10:47 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I also highly recommend pig rails to keep her from lying on any pups. They can be made with PVC pipes easily enough.

If the box is too hot she may try moving the puppies. I try to keep 1/4 of the box fairly warm and the rest is comfortable for mom. The pups will move into the heat when needed and use mom and puppy piles in other areas. If the pups are all spread out then they are too warm. If they are all trying to be on top of one another then they are too cold. I tend to keep that one section about 90 degrees. Looking at the picture, the pups are probably at a good temperature, but the lattice will allow a draft and they need to be protected from a draft.

She may also not feel secure in the box so is wanting to move them. Do as others suggested and drape something around the sides. You could also drape something over the top, but that could make it too warm. I would also put an X-pen around the box so she can get away from the pups if she wants to, but not wander around the house.

She should have access to water at all times (as a side note).

My box is also 4X4 which is fine when the pups are small, but 4X5 might be better as they get bigger. A couple of pictures of my box. The one is just after whelping and you can see where I have the heat lamp in one corner. I also have a thermometer, but you probably can't see that in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hpups1day.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	503889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jlitterfamilybirthday.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	503897  
Sunsilver likes this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 07:23 PM

I think she may be trying to kill the runt (as I stated earlier this morning she had brought it to the bathroom and was sitting on top of it).. and now she just took it to the kennel.. i kept an eye on her.. she kept putting the pup in her mouth.. I dont think she was biting down hard but the pup was yelling for dear life..... then she took it and put it into a toy box (the box is in the room because I use it to put the pups in while cleaning out the whelping area) and then she tried to smush it with her paw while in the toy box.. I said NO! STOP NYLA! and placed it back in whelping area with the others

My worry is while im away on the weekends (fri-sun) I know my wife will NOT do anything to protect or prevent this from happening.. my wife is now scared of Nyla (from when she growled at her while delivering the pups).. my wife never comes in this room anymore unless Im in here and she is already telling me she will not do anything for the pups while im away because she is scared (she wont even pet one she is so afraid I dont understand it smh)

I will be adding the pig rails this week as well as covering the sides of the whelping box but I dont think that's the issue at this point

Nyla {GSD 4/14/16}

Last edited by InControlK9; 05-29-2018 at 07:27 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 07:34 PM

My wife is suggesting for this weekend while im gone is keeping the puppies in a different area... away from mom and bottle feeding them... what do you guys think? she is very serious about not touching the puppies if nyla is around... so if nyla is accidently laying on top of one she wont save it.. or if nyla moves the runt again and is trying to smush it my wife wont do anything.... so not sure what to do at this point

Nyla {GSD 4/14/16}
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 07:46 PM
Crowned Member

Leave the litter with their mom. Hopefully things will have calmed down by the weekend.

I really do hope that you will take all of this into consideration before continuing this breeding operation that you have going on. It should also be said (off topic) - please do not send these puppies to their new homes on July 7th... for many reasons.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 05-29-2018 at 07:49 PM.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 07:54 PM

I realize this question is really "Captain Obvious" in nature, but do you have a friend or family member who is comfortable with your dog that can stay the weekend?

Kimmy, GSD - 9/2015

Buckley, GSD - 1/2018

Stella, 100% Mutt - 2/2018

Chester Copperpot, Siamese Cat - 2008 to 2016
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 08:11 PM
Master Member

I have read that puppies will pick up on aggression from the dam toward people vs a dam that is friendly toward people. I know there have been studies where puppies from dams with good nerves were given to fearful/aggressive dams and the puppies ended up with similar issues.

Developmental Stages of Puppies - Briards du Nouveau

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:11 PM
Elite Member

This is just an observation and a concern for you to consider. With Nyla's temperament and nerve base, I would think that more consideration for her comfort and need for privacy would be given. The pictures of each individual pup, though cute, was really unnecessary handling. I think Nyla is trying desperately to find a quiet place so she can peacefully tend to her litter as best she can.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 07:06 AM
Crowned Member

Stressed behavior like that can easily be caused by calcium deficiency as well. Is she getting supplemented?

Feuergarten German Shepherds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page