Labor??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Heartandsoul
  • 1 Post By Pytheis

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Labor???

Hello I am new to the group, recently I rescued a pit bull/ Shepard mix she was in a high kill shelter and her time was up.. problem was they could not find a rescue to take her and were feeling terrible that they may have to euthanize a pregnant dog. So I took her in, I've had her for about 2 weeks now and I've been checking her temperature for the past 3 days. it has stayed the high 99f's. Last night it dropped to 98.4 at about 10 p.m. and at about 7 a.m. this morning it was 98.6 Fahrenheit. I just checked her temperature again in a few minutes ago and it's back up to 99.7. I did notice her in the backyard digging hole. And a little bit of clear discharge coming from her vulva after she went to the bathroom. Do you think that is a significant enough drop to consider her in early stages of labor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2018, 10:02 AM
Crowned Member

Just bumping this up for you. Sounds to me like she could be ready but I will let others respond.
Watch for nesting, discomfort or hiding.
Sorry but my experience with rescue moms is that they will birth as soon as I am otherwise occupied, usually on or under my bed or in the coat closet!
Old 05-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Master Member

@carmspack @selzer

These two can help you out. Hopefully they see the thread.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Thank you... her temp is still bouncing up and down. This morning it was 98.7f @6am and @10am it was 99.9f... all she is doing is sleeping doesn't seem to be in distress, she ate not very much tho..
Old 05-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Elite Member

Have you read this thread yet? It's very recent and there is a ton of helpful info on almost every aspect.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-pictures.html
Stevenzachsmom likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Old 05-11-2018, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

So now she keeps wanting to go outside and dig a hole.. I gave her newspaper to RIP up in her box. She was picking it up and moving it around for a minute but now she is laying on her side sleeping..
Old 05-12-2018, 12:59 AM
Crowned Member

Please do not take your bitch's temperature every couple of hours. She is pregnant, and she hardly knows you as it is. Take the temperature twice a day: 7AM and 7PM. Write it down.

Yes it goes down and comes up. It works it's way down to about 98 degrees. And it stays there for about 12 hours, so you don't miss it. It comes back up before the whelping. Usually, but if you are checking only every 12 hours, you may not see that, AND that is OK.

All bitches are different. Nesting may take place days or even a week before the babies come. And it could take place hours before. Three days before, she may be moving the papers around. And we go and get all excited and run in to see if anything is happening. Nope. She is just trying to get comfortable. Relax.

Some clear discharge is normal, it could be the plug.

Usually the signs that whelping is imminent:
a drop of temperature of at least a degree withing 12-24 hours before whelping.
a lot of water -- that may arrive with 30 minutes of a puppy.
Circling and licking at her parts, and bearing down -- if she has been bearing down for 2 hours, and still no puppy. Get her to a vet.
Lots of heavy panting, and lying with visible contractions.
Frantic ripping and tearing at newspapers (while circling in the box).

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:10 AM
Master Member

Any updates? Has she had pups yet?
Mame likes this.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in