Looking for a little help - how do you find great homes? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a little help - how do you find great homes?

Wanted to reach out and ask for some advice. I am a veterinarian in the Philadelphia area, put a Sch3 on my previous male, and a Sch1 on my current female. Outside of my own club, I was looking to see if anyone had any new ideas on finding great homes for my recent litter of working line shepherds (4 boys, 3 girls)? We have had some interest, but think some of these puppies would be best with experienced handlers. IF you have a chance, let me know your thoughts.

** Thoughts on how to find good homes for litters is allowed on the board. The advertising, even if subtle, is not.** ADMIN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	491257  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 11:38 PM

I’ve been having the same problem. I’ve got an upcoming litter myself and was worrying over how to find the proper home for them.

I reached out to my old trainer I used with the sire and I’ve immediately got half a dozen people interested that she knows will be a good fit.

Perhaps you know of some local or not so local competent trainers you can reach out too? You could also reach out to your local police or rescue groups. Unless they only purchase “import” like my local police do.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 09:41 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Facebook is a good resource to use. Just screen your buyers well.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:35 PM
mnm
Elite Member

I have found that one of the best ways to find good homes is usually with the help of the owner of the sire, the breeder of the female and her parents (if not me, the breeders I have dealt with before), owners of siblings, friends in the sport. I get a lot of referrals from a friend who also breeds who gets more inquiries than they produce pups to fill. I know they also have referred people to other breeders whose litters she liked or helped choose the sire. My first female came from that breeder, and we use similar lines, and they own the sire of a few of my litters. Several working homes have already put IPO3s on my pups that they referred to me. In the litters from their male, quite a few of the placements of the pups were networked through them. Facebook can also help tremendously. Using both kennel pages, prospective buyers can network into pups that are from either the sire or dam, previous litters, etc. They can “meet” and see what the pups are like and this is a good reference. The owner of the sire has a page where owners of both pups from their female and mine interact and interested people can talk to owners of previous litters.

Best bet overall is with the help of the owner of the sire, especially if this is a first or second litter.

Marsha
Ball Zulu z Martinické Staré skoly CD, RN, CGC
Mystic vd Traumwolfen
Neon vd Traumwolfen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired - Ebene BH CD RN THDA CGC
RIP - Chita IPO3 CD RN THDA CGC KKL1, Elsa HOT SchH1 CD & Viggo TR1 CD
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 01:17 AM
Master Member

Be a good judge of character.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help

Thanks everybody. We have been spreading the word and I am going to our club trial and will bring pictures/video. She is a very intense female so obviously they need strong owners. I have had some appalling calls. One guy wanted a sable male but never mentioned that he had a litter of rottweilers on the ground also. We have not had a litter in about 10 years and it is awful how the internet has changed things. I see people ordering and selling like from Amazon Prime. I want a blue shepherd, a panda colored one, large, small, lo drive, no drive, you name it. This is a one and done deal for us and we are keeping at least a male and may hold one of the girls. Trying to convince my breeder to take one since his female is retired and he has been spreading the word at his club also. I honestly have no idea how many breeders place 3 or more litters a year in suitable homes-but I am very picky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page