Pregnant Foster Dog...how far along? (plus pictures:) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 256Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Pregnant Foster Dog...how far along? (plus pictures:)

Hi there!
Thanks for reading...I've seen lots of people receive good advice so was hoping maybe we could too! Here's a little backstory
Last Monday (3/12), we picked up Sydney, a pregnant border collie/heeler mix to foster through her pregnancy/whelping/puppies. She actually came up on a transport to be adopted not knowing she was pregnant! The rescue did an ultrasound and saw at least 3 heartbeats. They called us to see if we were available again(we had JUST dropped off the last of a litter of 8 after having them/mom for 17 weeks) and the rest is history! She has been amazingly sweet and is such an awesome dog, now we are just in puppy-watch! We have fostered multiple pregnant moms before, but all of them gave birth within the first week or so of arrival. Syd is the first one who isn't as far along and we are so curious as to when she may give birth! I am thinking she has about 2-3 weeks left but was hoping someone may have some input (or want to see some puppy pictures
She doesn't have milk yet, but definitely has more development since we picked her up and her nipples have darkened a TON. When she lays on her side, sometimes you can feel lumps etc, but I haven't felt movement yet. She has had clear discharge for a few days. She is definitely tired and is VERY picky (any suggestions on food?? She doesn't want venison, chicken, rice, canned food...).
Anyway, hopefully these pictures will help too!
Thanks in advance!!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 07:37 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry, I can't help with advice. But, gotta say, she is so pretty. What an adorable face. Bless you for taking her in - and the last litter too. Please keep posting. Of course we want to see puppy pictures.
Quinnsmom and fostertofurever like this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 07:44 PM
Crowned Member

I can only say...

That's the cutest dog EVER!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
Sorry, I can't help with advice. But, gotta say, she is so pretty. What an adorable face. Bless you for taking her in - and the last litter too. Please keep posting. Of course we want to see puppy pictures.
Thank you! She is such a good dog. I will!
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
post #5 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I can only say...

That's the cutest dog EVER!
I agree
post #6 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Sydney is super sleepy today and is licking herself more. She is just so different from the other mom's we've fostered as they've all come with huge obvious bellies and you could easily feel the puppies moving etc. Anyone else have a preggo mama who didn't show too much? Thinking she may be hiding the pups under her ribs... She is about 1 (est.) and this is definitely her first (and last) litter...don't know if that makes a difference
Hoping someone will have a similar story as the waiting is SO HARD!!
Here's another pic of the princess
Attached Images

Stevenzachsmom and EyeDogtor like this.
post #7 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Elite Member

I can't give you any advice as I've never bred or raised a litter, but she looks fantastic, and what a wonderful person you are for helping her. I'll definitely follow along for updates.
fostertofurever likes this.
post #8 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:48 PM
Crowned Member

what has happened to her appetite?

is she seeking private areas to retreat to

is there any scartching (nesting) behaviouir

has the vulva changed colour , softness

is there any discharge
fostertofurever likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
what has happened to her appetite?

is she seeking private areas to retreat to

is there any scartching (nesting) behaviouir

has the vulva changed colour , softness

is there any discharge
She is nesting a bit, but is my shadow so pretty much goes wherever I go Her vulva is swollen but isn't huge. She's had clear white discharge for a few days...
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
post #10 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 09:24 PM
Crowned Member

I was in the same situation years ago; waiting was tough as I didn't have a clue when she would have her pups. Got her out of a shelter a few days before she was going to be put down with a belly full of pups (there were 10!). She slept next to my bed. I had a friend who had raised a few litters and she was a great support and came over when the dog started labor in the middle of the night. It was a great celebration. Good luck. She is the cutest dog and will have beautiful pups. Please keep us posted incl. pictures.
EyeDogtor and fostertofurever like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page