Pregnant Foster Dog...how far along? (plus pictures:) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 256Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quick update...Syd has started sleeping in my closet instead of on my bed for the past few nights! Think we're getting closer! She is eating if there is pork chop broth (unseasoned and boiled) on her food I wish she would eat more, but at least she's eating something. Her belly is definitely rounder now. She is so sleepy and just wants her belly rubbed... I haven't felt puppies kick yet, but hopefully soon although some people say they don't feel the puppies kick at all! With our other mamas, the puppies were going crazy up until the day before whelping!
When did anyone begin to feel puppies kick (if ever)??
I'm just curious since this is her first (and last) litter so that may make a difference as to showing less and feeling the puppies.
Thanks for reading!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:13 PM
Crowned Member

Have you tried to observe her for a long time when she is sleeping? From what I remember with my (only one) experience is that I saw movement quite a few days before she had them. But she had 10 and that could have something to do with it. Maybe the experienced breeders can chime in. Are you OK with her birthing in the closet? If not, you may want to set up a whelping spot in a protected corner in an x-pen. My foster dog chose to dig a hole under the chicken coop a few days before the birth and I had to pull her from under there as her determination was major. So before she had them I kept her on leash outside. I feel the anticipation but it will happen!
post #23 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Have you tried to observe her for a long time when she is sleeping? From what I remember with my (only one) experience is that I saw movement quite a few days before she had them. But she had 10 and that could have something to do with it. Maybe the experienced breeders can chime in. Are you OK with her birthing in the closet? If not, you may want to set up a whelping spot in a protected corner in an x-pen. My foster dog chose to dig a hole under the chicken coop a few days before the birth and I had to pull her from under there as her determination was major. So before she had them I kept her on leash outside. I feel the anticipation but it will happen!
Haha, hoping for a smaller litter but she's probably going to have 10 too just because I said that! I've watched her while she was sleeping and still haven't seen anything yet. She has a whelping box/pen set up but she HATES being alone (otherwise she's perfect) so I've become ok with her in the closet
Thanks for your help!
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Update:
Puppies are kicking!!!
post #25 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

***Update***
Sydney has milk!! Puppies are kicking like crazy and she is nesting. I think maybe 2-3 days but we'll just have to wait and see!
post #26 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 11:59 PM
Crowned Member

Stock up on some sleep now.
Sabis mom and fostertofurever like this.
post #27 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:44 AM

I have to second or third or fourth that the girl is so adorable! And I'm brimming with anticipation from the suspense. I'm hoping for an update later today haha.

Best wishes for a healthy delivery!
fostertofurever likes this.
post #28 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Crowned Member

okay "mom" -- looks like things are progressing.
often not eating is a good sign -- and remember that she probably won't eat for a day or two after

always provide lots of liquid --- goat milk will give her some protein , fat , and minetals
goat milk is not homogenized so is very digestible

are you going to let her have the placenta?

best of luck - and I too am very excited to see the pups --- she is a heart stealer cutey
fostertofurever likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all!! I agree...she is very adorable!

No real update but she does have a lot of clear odorless discharge (normal and her belly is SUPER tense.

I would love to see your guesses for day/time and how many pups plus how many boys/girls!!
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
post #30 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
okay "mom" -- looks like things are progressing.
often not eating is a good sign -- and remember that she probably won't eat for a day or two after

always provide lots of liquid --- goat milk will give her some protein , fat , and minetals
goat milk is not homogenized so is very digestible

are you going to let her have the placenta?

best of luck - and I too am very excited to see the pups --- she is a heart stealer cutey
Thank you so much for the info!
Yes, I typically let the moms eat most if not all of the placentas.
She is doing really well so far...I'll keep you posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in