Pregnant Foster Dog...how far along? (plus pictures:) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 256Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I was in the same situation years ago; waiting was tough as I didn't have a clue when she would have her pups. Got her out of a shelter a few days before she was going to be put down with a belly full of pups (there were 10!). She slept next to my bed. I had a friend who had raised a few litters and she was a great support and came over when the dog started labor in the middle of the night. It was a great celebration. Good luck. She is the cutest dog and will have beautiful pups. Please keep us posted incl. pictures.
Wow...10! I'm hoping for a smaller litter this time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 12:39 AM
Crowned Member

I had a foster drop 6 healthy puppies 4 days after I brought her home and neither me nor AC were she had been for 3 weeks had the slightest clue that she was pregnant.
She was one of 3 dogs picked up on an old property. The two males were neutered and she had what looked like a spay scar so no one ever checked.
She had no belly and any odd behavior we attributed to her being a bit out of sorts.
fostertofurever likes this.
post #13 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
I had a foster drop 6 healthy puppies 4 days after I brought her home and neither me nor AC were she had been for 3 weeks had the slightest clue that she was pregnant.
She was one of 3 dogs picked up on an old property. The two males were neutered and she had what looked like a spay scar so no one ever checked.
She had no belly and any odd behavior we attributed to her being a bit out of sorts.
Wow!! That's crazy!! Did she have ANY signs before she whelped?
Sydney seems to be getting a little bit of a bigger belly now but waiting is just so hard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 11:33 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostertofurever View Post
Wow!! That's crazy!! Did she have ANY signs before she whelped?
Sydney seems to be getting a little bit of a bigger belly now but waiting is just so hard
Nothing really. She was a bit off her food when I brought her home and seemed to have a thing for closets but we just thought she was nervous from being in a shelter and being separated from her buddies. No noticeable discharge, no milk, nothing noticeable at all.
post #15 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Sydney seems to have gotten bigger overnight! Her temperature is 99.9. Last night her stomach became super hard and tensed up for about 3 mintues...her ribs seem wider today??? Never had that happen before
Also, thanks for all your sweet comments and helpful words...it really means a lot!!!
Sabis mom likes this.
post #16 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

When do the bones calcify in the puppies? She had an ultrasound done 3 weeks ago and the bones were almost calcified...
post #17 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 04:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostertofurever View Post
When do the bones calcify in the puppies? She had an ultrasound done 3 weeks ago and the bones were almost calcified...
Well the internet says 42-45 days..... add 3 weeks and it seems you could have pups within the next couple days.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #18 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:05 PM
Crowned Member

Good luck!!! This is so exciting. I loved raising that litter; one of the highlights of my life. Enjoy the birth; trust nature but be vigilant. What startled me was when the mom chewed the placenta off the cord. it looked very scary but she did great without interference. The second or third day (it has been a long time ago) she pulled every puppy, one by one, towards her by the dried cord stump and chewed it off. I was horrified to see her do it but decided that I couldn't interfere and watched these big teeth work their magic, leaving a tiny red spot on these smooth little bellies. The next day you wouldn't even see it. I was amazed at that dog, coming from the streets, probably bred on her first heat, yet doing so well. I kept a detailed journal until they went back to the shelter where they were adopted out the next day. I gave every pup a detailed description for the new owner and my contact info in case they needed to return the pup. I loved those pups with all my heart and still enjoy reading that journal. They have all passed on after 16 years, I am sure.
EyeDogtor and fostertofurever like this.
post #19 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
Well the internet says 42-45 days..... add 3 weeks and it seems you could have pups within the next couple days.
Oh wow!!
post #20 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Good luck!!! This is so exciting. I loved raising that litter; one of the highlights of my life. Enjoy the birth; trust nature but be vigilant. What startled me was when the mom chewed the placenta off the cord. it looked very scary but she did great without interference. The second or third day (it has been a long time ago) she pulled every puppy, one by one, towards her by the dried cord stump and chewed it off. I was horrified to see her do it but decided that I couldn't interfere and watched these big teeth work their magic, leaving a tiny red spot on these smooth little bellies. The next day you wouldn't even see it. I was amazed at that dog, coming from the streets, probably bred on her first heat, yet doing so well. I kept a detailed journal until they went back to the shelter where they were adopted out the next day. I gave every pup a detailed description for the new owner and my contact info in case they needed to return the pup. I loved those pups with all my heart and still enjoy reading that journal. They have all passed on after 16 years, I am sure.
That is such an amazing story! Thanks for all you did for them!
Great idea to keep the journal. The way the momma's know how to care for them naturally is amazing!
We have raised quite a few litters from birth, but all the momma's gave birth within a week (max) of arrival so the suspense is crazy!!
I am going to try to update you all as she gets closer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in