Might I have a singleton? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Might I have a singleton?

So, of course we are in the midst of a blizzard.

My 6.5 year old female is 63 days from breeding. She showed some signs of pregnancy but never gained weight or a belly. I decided she probably wasn't carrying, and for various reasons didn't get an ultrasound.

I figured she'd have pups or not.

So, tonight, I noticed I could express small droplets of milk (colostrum) from her nipples. And she didn't eat her breakfast and vomited this afternoon. She seems healthy otherwise. Maybe extra cuddly.

Worried about a singleton. Is this something I should insist on bringing her in tonight for emergency scan and possible ceasar? This is a really special dog and I desperately want these pup(s). If a pup died because I delayed I would be devastated- and of course my dog's health is critical.

I have talked to my vet, she said OK to wait until tomorrow. I have an appt then.

Just looking for collective wisdom of breeders on this forum. Also, I realize this could be false pregnancy, but it's not really looking that way to me, and she's never had one before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 07:15 PM
Crowned Member

Hope she is ok. I don't have any advice, but I can tell you that one of my fosters dropped 6 healthy puppies 4 days after I got her and we had no idea she was pregnant. She had one of those freaky lines on her tummy that looked like an old spay scar, and had been found on an abandoned farm with two other shepherd looking dogs who were neutered. They had been in the care of AC for 3 weeks when I got them, she had no tummy and looked not one bit pregnant.
Muskeg likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 07:38 PM
Crowned Member

Try to trust nature. Don't underestimate c sections. Keep things and her calm (no visitors, no changes in routine, loud noises etc) and comfy because stress can delay the onset of labor (I am a human birth doula ) I also would not let her undergo an ultrasound at this time (think 'stress') unless you expect trouble. I assume you have your vet on call/speed dial?
Muskeg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:01 PM
Crowned Member

I would take her in the morning and do an xray or ultrasound, if your vet advises.

I'm sure breeders like Lisa would chime in. Why don't you PM her?
Muskeg likes this.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 07:44 AM
Crowned Member

I would definitely get an X-ray to start. That would rule out pregnancy or false, one way or another.

Waiting too long could definitely cause the potential puppy to die, and can have fatal repercussions to the dam as well.
lhczth, Jax08 and Muskeg like this.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:13 AM

Hoping all is well.Update when you can!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:02 AM
Crowned Member

Hope all is well!

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:10 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Yes, I would take her in for an x-ray. That would be the safest way to know what is going on. It is not unusual for females with small litters to not go into labor. Is she 63 days from breeding or 63 days from ovulation? That makes a difference too.
Muskeg and Sunsilver like this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Today she is 64 days from breeding.

I have an appointment with the vet today, and will take her in after work.

Still hoping we might have a small litter hidden in there, but will confirm either way.

I was so hoping for a daughter out of this female, she's a special one.

Thanks all, will update once I've been to the vet!
wolfy dog, dogma13 and Sabis mom like this.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Elite Member

Wow, hoping you have some healthy pup(s)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page