Breeding; how to change her mind. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 02:21 AM
Knighted Member

Take her with you to a local humane society or shelter...so many great dogs in need of a home already, it would be difficult for anyone not to be moved!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim

Last edited by tim_s_adams; 10-16-2017 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Missed article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranberryGSD View Post
We haven't had pups in years and she just wants to have pups.
Ah. She wants to be puppy grandma again.

I'm guessing she wants puppies, but doesn't want to end up keeping them into adulthood.

Is there somewhere she could go volunteer where she could help care for and play with puppies? I think that would resolve that itch.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 08:23 AM

The shelters in my area have volunteers who will foster pregnant females they take in, and care for them and their puppies until the pups are old enough to be adopted. Maybe that would be a solution for your mom, if the shelter would approve her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 08:52 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
The shelters in my area have volunteers who will foster pregnant females they take in, and care for them and their puppies until the pups are old enough to be adopted. Maybe that would be a solution for your mom, if the shelter would approve her.
Exactly what I was thinking - if that is her motivation (says someone who has cleaned up a TON of poopy papers in the past 4 weeks!!!! a 50 gal contractors heavy duty plastic bag pretty much every other day that weighs a ton to try to get to the curb!!!!)

Lee
sit,stay likes this.

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Crowned Member

Yes puppy poop lol! Lots of it!!! It?s a big responsibility pups sending out into the world to make their owners happy. Established breeders who do every thing right still can have issues with their pups behavior/ health wise. It can be a huge headache to deal with unhappy customers and customers who are clueless and don?t care to learn anything. There was a thread here of someone?s knowing a person who kept a puppy tied to a dog house outside. Some people are not that careful who they sell their pups to when they should.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 10-16-2017 at 10:01 AM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone it's really helpful. We can't exactly foster, as our dogs don't allow just whatever dog. However they're okay with pups, so that's another reason she wants to have them herself.

We recently fostered a preg cat that had five kitten, tiny kittens, and we barely have enough room for them. I can't imagine having 5 pups. Omg there's no way hah.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Crowned Member

If her motivation is just to have puppies, I would ask her what her plan is for the rest of their lives. Bringing a litter of pups into the world is a 10-15 year responsibility.
I would also ask if she is willing to lose the mother, because complications happen often, they happen fast and they are expensive and life threatening. Is a puppy worth losing your dog over?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 11:38 PM

If she is dead-set on breeding her, chances are that there won't be much you can say in terms of getting her to change her mind. Have you asked her for what purpose she plans to breed? If the answer is anything close to just having puppies, I'm afraid there's not much you can do or say. If that's the case, the health, temperament, breed-ability of the female (or even the male), possible stillborns or c-section or other complications, veterinarian care, lifetime support, possible return of puppies from buyers, etc etc. is not at the forefront of their purpose...it's simply to produce puppies. Someone who has it in their mind that it would be great to have puppies, doesn't usually want to hear the negative talk...essentially and unfortunately, they may have to experience raising a litter firsthand in order to understand the enormous responsibility that comes with it. I hope you can find a solution that satisfies both you and your mother, and the dog isn't the one who suffers as a result.
melissajancie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page