Adopted female dog, they didn't tell me she was pregnant - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 12:05 PM
Elite Member

I've been watching this thread and hoping for a good outcome as I'm sure many have and figured with pages of skillful help there would be a good outcome for all.

I don't understand why you are so dying to know about the pups when they are no longer in your care. The people who have vested their time trying to help are probably heartbroken over this especially where your relief came via CL.

This beautiful dam is in full lactation. The hormones will not subside quickly. The mammory glands will become full and painful and there is a chance that they will become impacted. I know this thruough my own nursing and that of a cat while growing up. I hope you research how to care for a lactating bitch who needs help to relieve pressure as her body responds to the lack of nursing and begins to dry up.

The pics of those beautiful pups made me want to cry and I am not one to cry easily.

Op, it looks like you did a lot but maybe you just aren't aware how your last post appears to those who are reading it.

My best wishes and thoughts are with this beautiful dam and those pups.
Stevenzachsmom and Mudypoz like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

Sadly, CL is a cesspool of wannabe rescuers who don't know what they're doing, scammers who want free puppies to sell, and worse. For future readers, TRUST NO ONE on CL without doing significant due diligence.

Hopefully OP was responsible about it and didn't just hand-off the litter to a stranger without a background check just to be rid of the pups: he or she hopefully checked the 501(c)(3) status of this unknown all-breed rescue, called the rescue's vet to get a reference check on quality of care they provide (as any legitimate rescue would encourage you to do), and inquired as to community reputation with other rescues, shelter directors, etc (again, legitimate rescues would be happy to provide community references, as we have worked hard to build goodwill). Hopefully he or she also read their adoption contract and adoption qualifications (speutering contract, taking the pups back if it doesn't work out, training requirements, quality of placement, home checks, etc.), so you have peace of mind that they'll place the pups well and handle returns so that they don't eventually end up in a shelter.

There are some dumb all-breed rescues who see "possibly purebred puppies" and think that a money-making fundraiser fell into their laps. They don't know what they're in for --- and quickly get overwhelmed.

It's too late now, but when OP talked to the rescue's vet (you did that, OP, right?), there should have been a plan to get these 12-day old pups through this dangerous period without their mama, and a discussion of this foster's track-record with bottle-fed litters. When there are orphaned litters, this sometimes happens, but often some of the pups don't all survive bottle-feeding....which is why we move heaven and earth to find mama....one rescue I know even went looking in shelters for a lactating F who lost her litter to be a "wet nurse" (after a neg parvo test and careful temperament screen), as it increased the odds of the litter's survival (and she was fab with them).

That was hopefully all discussed with the rescue's vet and OP, so OP and the rescue made an informed choice ...for some reason, their vet thought was really important to "orphan" this litter....surely no one would separate mama and pups like this without talking to their vet about what's best for the pups. Even in shelters when the mama is feral and can't be handled and has to be separated from pups earlier than anyone would like, it's the shelter's vet who makes that call. Right, OP....?
selzer, Stevenzachsmom and Jax08 like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 08-27-2017 at 12:12 PM.
post #43 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:15 PM
Crowned Member

Who knows and who cares if they are purebred. They aren't yours anymore. And in the end probably a good thing. No pup should be raised by someone willing to separate them from their mother at 2 weeks.

I am sorry, but I am beyond disgusted. These pups may live. That's maybe what you should by "dying to find out" -- if they survive at all. If they somehow get through the next two weeks, these people will be probably passing them around to people at PetsMart to haul around the store with them -- yep, I've seen that.

Your bitch was rightfully upset with these people who came to your home. They were threatening to her babies. She is in momma-bear mode. You perhaps do not understand how helpless those babies are and their life-line is their mother. It wasn't maybe your fault for taking her in, not knowing she was pregnant. But once you took on that responsibility...

I guess what is done is done. Or maybe not. You should never have separated the pups from the dam or given pups that young to people who are fearful and not expecting the dam to be somewhat fearful, protective, and even aggressive. How are they going to bottle raise puppies. Puppies that have a lot to learn from their dam. I wish you could get the puppies back and home them with someone experienced with raising GSDs.

I am sorry no one here was in a position to take the dam and litter off of your hands. Your post sounded like you were willing to wait the six weeks until the pups were ready to be separated. And if that were the case the least amount of stress -- no more changing hands, would've been better for the dam and puppies. If that were not the case, if that is not what you had projected, maybe these babies would be safe and their dam would be settling in with someone who knows what they are doing.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.

Last edited by selzer; 08-27-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:00 PM
Crowned Member

??? That poor momma she has been and going through so much. You sound very overwhelmed. Maybe you can fix this and get the puppies back. It is worth a try. Then contact a real rescue with references and give the pups and mother over to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:23 PM
Crowned Member

deleted
post #46 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:41 PM

Speechless....I hope this is a bad joke. Poor mom and pups if real.
selzer and Mudypoz like this.

Did you deserve your dog today?
post #47 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 07:33 PM
Crowned Member

Well, according to this post, OP is now saying the rescue is taking mom AND the pups for 6 weeks:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...r-6-weeks.html

("Found a rescue willing to take Mom with pups and give Mom back when pups are weaned. She will be gone six weeks")

Maybe we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief for the pups.
post #48 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 07:53 PM
Crowned Member

^that was posted on the 25th...

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #49 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:07 PM
Crowned Member

Well, this development sucks. Poor mama and poor pups.

To anyone reading this thread now and in the future.... Craigslist, just say, "NO!!!!!"
And repeat, repeat, repeat. UGH!
selzer, ksotto333 and Mudypoz like this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #50 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:35 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Well, according to this post, OP is now saying the rescue is taking mom AND the pups for 6 weeks:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...r-6-weeks.html

("Found a rescue willing to take Mom with pups and give Mom back when pups are weaned. She will be gone six weeks")

Maybe we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief for the pups.
Unfortunately from timeline and posts it looks like those were the people that showed up, and took just the pups.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page