Adopted female dog, they didn't tell me she was pregnant - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 71Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

I contacted several local rescues and Burbank gsd rescue responded. I explained that I was concerned that if I tried to rehome pups myself I wouldn't be able to vet adopters and would be concerned about continuing the breeding cycle of these pups, or dogs being dumped when they are adolescents or worse. I asked if they had resources to help find good homes. They responded by saying I'll have no problem finding "buyers" but that they don't help people "sell" their puppies. Either I didn't explain my situation clearly enough or they didn't believe the that the pups were result of someone elses irresponsibility or mistake. I tried to explain I wasn't looking for money for pups, only GOOD homes. I didn't hear back but if anyone has advice on a better way to approach rescues for help placing puppies, let me know.
Mom gets up quite a bit from puppies; of course she has to eat and go to bathroom but she is up and down all day. Is this normal? She is easily distracted. I've gotten bully sticks and soup bones to supplement food and reduce stress but when a bone is out she completely forgets about pups and becomes fixated on getting another bone all day- trying to take my males bone or searching for more, which usually don't exist as I only buy two at a time. Any time I go into kitchen she jumps up, even if puppies are on her nipples, to see if I am getting more bones. For now I'm not giving her any more bones.
Also, ive been worried about mom stepping on or laying on top of puppies. First version of the whelping box was too small and hard for her to get in and avoid puppies. I made adjustments which has helped considerably but I'm still worried about accidents. The puppies crawl behind and under her making it hard for her to not end up on top of one or two. I've been near by for most of the day and if not my fiance is (although she seems more comfortable with me handling pups) but I'm sure a time will come where she will have to be left alone. How worried should I be about a dog being crushed or suffocated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:21 PM

I'd call them and explain that you rescued a dog that turned out be be pregnant and are now uncertain as to what to do.

I'd imagine they thought you were trying to just use their resources to sell puppies not that you pretty much rescued a dog. Sometimes certain key words are needed.
Seth&Co likes this.
post #23 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:51 PM
Elite Member

That's what I was afraid of with the rescues and the backstory. Hopefully someone on here can offer some guidance.

I adopted a stray GSD and looked into placing her with a "rescue" (then ended up keeping her, a good decision) and got the same type of answer. As soon as you adopt a dog, no matter the circumstances, you are the owner and "rescues" don't seem to like that backstory much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 03:33 PM
Crowned Member

(Assuming that you are willing...) Specify that you will keep the pups until homes are found and that the adoption fee will go to them. I have done this with dogs in the past thru westside, positive experiences - used their application and their volunteers did the homecheck. I was essientially the foster home.
Stevenzachsmom and Seth&Co like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 08-22-2017 at 03:35 PM.
post #25 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 10:13 PM
Crowned Member

Yes it can happen -- a bitch can crush/suffocate a puppy. I use a pig rail in a 4' square box. Also, I do not use blankets or sheets, because a pup can get up under them or in the folds and smother. I use newspapers, at least for the first couple of weeks. They sell a box for about $120 on e-bay, easy to put together, wood, has the pig rail, and they can ship it quickly. I have two of them, because after about two weeks, 1 box gets to be crowded. And, it is easier to move the pups from one box into the other, and put the door way up while you clean the one box. Then you move them to the other side and clean that, then your remove the door panel and they have both areas.

I wouldn't give her bully sticks or bones. Both can contain salmonella and it is an unnecessary risk to the baby puppies. Also, she is too concerned about them, that she is neglecting her puppies? I would just stop them. If you want to give her a treat, give her white ice cream.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #26 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

We are getting a little stressed with the situation. My male dog is a basket case, mom has gone after him unprovoked a few times. No damage was done but he is fearful and miserable. Not to mention he is spending more time alone than he is used to. Not having any experience with newborn pups I am constantly worried. A few behaviors that concerned me:when Mom is brought outside she acts as if she is maybe looking for a better spot for the puppies- exploring any little nook or under house. Right now puppies are in a whelping box in a walk in closet in my bedroom. It's where she gave birth to them. I keep the door shut and besides my girl no dog or person has been in bedroom. I hung a tapestry in the closet over whelping box to make it feel more hidden and help retain warmth.
Since my last post she has seemed more attentive to puppies, but I'm still curious how much time the mother spends with puppies. I'd say she is spending 60-70% of her time either in whelping box or right next to it. She is never far and does respond when she hears them cry. But she seems to want to be near me and my girlfriend a lot. We try to stay near pups when she is like this.
Puppies are growing a lot every day and have become quite mobile. All look very healthy and well fed. They get pretty vocal at times, including when feeding. I always check to see if they are ok, temp is ok, no one is being squished when I hear them etc. but do pups this young vocalize for no reason at times?
I think we are maybe leaning towards keeping mom and pups here for at least 8 weeks. My concern is with the mom. I think a new home would be to stressful. She has only been in our care for a month, and she doesn't warm up right away to people.
Thanks again for responses
post #27 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
(Assuming that you are willing...) Specify that you will keep the pups until homes are found and that the adoption fee will go to them. I have done this with dogs in the past thru westside, positive experiences - used their application and their volunteers did the homecheck. I was essientially the foster home.
Is westside down here in socal? They sound familiar. I might have already emailed them. I did explain to Burbank I wasn't trying to collect any money for puppies but didn't hear back. I'm going to try the other rescue around here and the two in orange county. Thanks
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
post #28 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Yes it can happen -- a bitch can crush/suffocate a puppy. I use a pig rail in a 4' square box. Also, I do not use blankets or sheets, because a pup can get up under them or in the folds and smother. I use newspapers, at least for the first couple of weeks. They sell a box for about $120 on e-bay, easy to put together, wood, has the pig rail, and they can ship it quickly. I have two of them, because after about two weeks, 1 box gets to be crowded. And, it is easier to move the pups from one box into the other, and put the door way up while you clean the one box. Then you move them to the other side and clean that, then your remove the door panel and they have both areas.

I wouldn't give her bully sticks or bones. Both can contain salmonella and it is an unnecessary risk to the baby puppies. Also, she is too concerned about them, that she is neglecting her puppies? I would just stop them. If you want to give her a treat, give her white ice cream.
Yeah I quickly discovered that two whelping boxes are helpful. A real professionally made whelping box would be a lot of help, do pet stores ever carry them? Haven't seen any at local stores (red Barn, Petco etc.) I hate ordering online, no patience. Honestly at this point number one priority is keeping mom fed as she is always hungry. I'm throwing money away buying smaller bags because my vehicle is in the shop and it's a bit far of a walk for large bag. We weren't sure if we were in financial position for two adults dogs- we determined we could swing it but we definitely aren't in position for two dogs and seven puppies, so we have really tightened the belts. I see need for a safe whelping box but $120 would be a lot for us right now. I have family help available for pet (or human) emergencies which of course is an excellent asset. Still, I'd like to see if can make my homemade one safer.
Once I saw mom getting weird with bully sticks I stopped giving them to her. Didn't know about salmonella risk, good to know. Are there risks to puppies with raw beef soup bones for mom?
post #29 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 06:21 PM
Crowned Member

It's hard to say. if the raw beef bones have salmonella on them, than the puppies contracting it from being licked and fed by the dam is a possibility. I would hold off of raw bones or raw eggs until the pups are at their adult temperature, about 3 weeks old. Some raw feeders wean pups onto raw food. So it is just the neonatal pups that might have a major issue.

Yes, they make noise. They are whelps. If you sit and watch the bitch, she will ignore some sounds, and other sounds she will zero right in on. She needs to help them potty, they cannot do it on their own. So they become uncomfortable, and she licks and cleans them and it allows them to urinate and defecate, and she eats that up. So when the puppies make certain squeals she knows her job. And usually when she is lying in the box and they are feeding, she will be cleaning them and helping them potty. It is amazing how much she knows.

After the pups are a week old or so, you will have to cut the ends of their nails. Their nails will become sharp and the bitch will not want to lie in there and feed them because it will start hurting her. Sometimes it is best to separate it into two days. Get a small dog toenail clipper, and clip the little ends off. Try not to nick the quick. If you do it isn't the end of the world. it will bleed a little and you can stop it with flour or corn startch. But they will be squirmier after you quick them.

It's a tough job, but it goes pretty fast, really. And you will get to love the babies, once their personalities start showing.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #30 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 06:35 PM

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and to German shepherd dogs, but I recently purchased my 15 week old GSD from a neighbor who's female had her 8 puppies in a large blow up kiddie pool in the garage of her home. The mom and pups were safe, and had plenty room to move around and feed pups without any problems. Plus, as pups got older they could move about freely, but couldn't get out of pool due to high sides. I thought it was the perfect set up for the process. Also, It was easy to feed them and clean up after the puppies, too. I don't know if you have room for a kiddie pool, but it's just a thought...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page