Adopted female dog, they didn't tell me she was pregnant - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 71Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Crowned Member

A friend sent me this link to share. https://www.facebook.com/CGSR.SD/

If the link doesn't work, it is Coastal German Shepherd Rescue of San Diego.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 02:19 PM
Master Member

I have a friend who runs a rescue in San Diego. I will contact her to see if there's anything they can do
Stevenzachsmom and Mudypoz like this.
post #13 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. Mom was even thinner a month ago when I adopted her; I've of course been feeding her regularly a high quality food. Not knowing she was pregnant I wanted to slowly build her weight up, seemed like the healthy way to go about it. Even at her thinnest I could never see ribs. Had just started transitioning her to a raw diet when the puppies came, which I abandoned for dry food since I have a better understanding of how much is appropriate for a dog.
I too noticed that quite a few pups are looking like they will turn out sable. The pups came out relatively uniform, some are darker than others but I thought if they were mixed there would be a larger variety of phenotypes among the pups...some taking after the dam, other the sire and others a mix of the two. In the end it only matters to me in as much as I assume PBs (or at least mostly pure) will be easier to adopt out.
Off topic, but mom has my male gsd running scared from her. Its not just her being protective- which she is, but She completely bullies him. He is older, has at least 20 pounds and quite a few inches on her and is an extremely reactive, high energy working line dog who was once quite the bully himself. How much of this is hormones? Ill probably post a longer version of this question in the appropriate section but if anyone wants to chime in please do.
Thanks again for advice and responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

I haven't yet gotten the hang of replying to individual posts, but to answer a few questions- I'm in Los Angeles, I used to live in Orange County California, not Florida. It's been pretty hot here so pups should be ok with temp.
I am familiar with the local rescues- burbank gsd and the other LA one (slips my mind) as well as coastal and OCGSD in orange county. I emailed the two LA ones, hoping for a response Monday.
As far as fostering Mom with pups- had no idea that was an option. Discussed the possibility of that with my fiance. Ideally we would like to be close to Shasta, the mom, but recognize that there may come a time where we are overwhelmed and will have to consider that.
A few people mentioned Shasta being underweight which I addressed in previous post, although it occurred to me that as she started to show I had actually thought she was just filling out from eating more.maybe if I realized how thin she truly was I would of adjusted her feeding accordingly. I am going to pay more attention to her weight and coat going forward. If my other dog is evidence, however, underfeeding isn't generally my problem! My male is a smidge to thick so I need to ensure both dogs are getting a healthy amount of food.
Does anyone see malinois in the pups? 7 Mal pups, if that doesn't motivate you to find homes or a foster asap I don't know what would! Love mals- from afar. I dog sat a tervuren once for a friend rehoming the dog.i thought my experience with wl gsds had me prepared for this. Nope.
post #15 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 11:30 PM
Crowned Member

I can't answer your question about Shasta's behavior with your male. I'd guess it could be hormones, or the puppies. Personally, I would do my best to keep them separate. Give her space alone with her babies.

You should expect a lot more replies, by tomorrow. Weekend will be over. For what it is worth, I think you're doing a great job. You seem to be taking it all in stride. Hang in there.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:53 AM
Crowned Member

Bump

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #17 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 11:04 AM
Crowned Member

Sent you a PM.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #18 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I moved this to the breeding section so people can help with that aspect.

I would keep your male away from the mom and pups. Most females are very protective of their babies and don't want another dog around them at least when they are really small.
Stevenzachsmom and Sabis mom like this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #19 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 02:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I moved this to the breeding section so people can help with that aspect.

I would keep your male away from the mom and pups. Most females are very protective of their babies and don't want another dog around them at least when they are really small.
Thank you for moving it, Lisa.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #20 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

Firstly, adding heat sources is more likely to dehydrate puppies. They then move away from the heat, and end up too weak to suckle. 85 degrees is HOT. 72-73 degrees WITH their dam is about right. Their dam will keep them warm, and will not dehydrate them. If you keep it warm in the closet, the dam is likely to suffer heat-exhaustion and dehydration. And we do not want that, these babies need their mamma. If you made it through the first 5 days, your doing great with temperature.

One thing to note though is that the babies will not reach their adult temperatures until about 3 weeks old. This means if they are exposed to common dog illnesses, that a slight fever will kill, they can die from it because they cannot support a fever of 103 or 104 degrees. They are born at 98 degrees and then gain one degree per week. Which means if they are currently at 99 degrees that is normal. If your bitch is at 101-102, it is normal. But keep them away from other dogs. When you take them into the vet for their first shots, don't put them down. Take them in at 5-6 weeks and carry them in a laundry basket and do not put them on the floor. Ask vet techs to clean their hands first. They will be under their mother's immunity, but if she has been as neglected as you say, that she may not have had parvo-distemper vaccines, and she cannot at this point obviously.

Keep your male away from her. Her aggression toward him was momma-bear aggression -- totally hormonal, her instincts are to drive away anything that might hurt her babies or her while she is compromised (giving birth). It is imperative for her and her puppies that she feels safe and has plenty of nourishing food.

Besides high quality kibble, I would give her 4 meals per day with a couple of tablespoons of dannon's regular-fat plain vanilla yogurt (with live cultures in it), or cottage cheese, and a couple of eggs, nuked or fried, meat -- raw or cooked. Left-overs from your dinner, white ice-cream, cheese -- breakkfast food -- eggs, bacon, buttered toast -- she needs to eat and her babies as they grow will be requiring more, not less calcium and nutrients. She has a big job in front of her.

Safety, and nutritious food. Handle the puppies ever day. Keep other dogs away. You are doing great, and thank you for helping this little girl. We don't always get what we want, but if we try sometimes, we just might find, we get what we need. And maybe you are what she needs, and maybe at the end of the day, they will be a great blessing for you.
Stevenzachsmom and Quinnsmom like this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page